High quality photos once loaded to shopify appear differently

Highlighted
Excursionist
27 0 1

I'm having lots of problems with this too. Where is the "editor" that I can use to change image resolution for each image? In the "Files" part of settings there are no options to edit images--it just shows the URL and an option to delete the file.

I'm using Narrative theme and I can't for the life of me find any of my images in the code. Nor have I been able to find the segment of code that is reducing image quality.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Hey this articles solved all of my problems around resolution and the color differences in images uploaded to Shopify: https://www.lifewire.com/photoshop-save-for-web-tool-tutorial-1697537

I found it starts first with the nature of the photo you're uploading into your shopify store. To the extent that you're able to web optimize your photos at the color and resolution you want, you'll be fine upon uploading them. 

This article provided by Shopify speaks to this as well: https://shopify.dev/tutorials/customize-theme-troubleshooting-fix-colors-of-uploaded-images, however the above link details how to specifically fix this. Note the shopify dev article states: 

Color profiles are removed for two reasons:

• When an uploaded image doesn't include a color profile, sRGB (the most common color profile used to display images on the web) is assumed by the web browser. This ensures that your images look the same across all major web browsers.
  • Color profiles can take up large amounts of disk space, which can result in heavy loading times.

However, Shopify doesn't explain how to maintain your desired look even though the color profile is removed. I've found the color profile that's removed is also tied the resulting resolution of the image. So to solve for this you have to export your photos differently, that is explained step by step here: https://www.lifewire.com/photoshop-save-for-web-tool-tutorial-1697537

Though it sounds like your problem might be slightly different, I hope the above helps to get you in the right direction. 

All the best, 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
27 0 1

Thanks NazNay, unfortunately that doesn't cover my problems. My images are all saved as sRGB and I've tried all sorts of combinations of compression and resolution changes and Shopify keeps changing the finished product. Happens more with certain sections than others--my hero image is okay, but Image with Text sections are badly compressed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Hey, can you explain how this was done, please!  a walkthrough would really be appreciated. I've been stuck on this problem and it's making me put out all my hair lol.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi I cant find my images in the code atall i really wanna try your solution but I just cant find my pictures in the code no matter how hard I try

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
27 0 1

Same here. I'm using Narrative and I can't find them anywhere.

0 Likes