How To Make Variants Unavailable Based On Variant Selection?

Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi Shopify World,

I've got a bit of a tricky one, at least it is at the moment for me. Have been searching everywhere but I'm coming up empty-handed.

Essentially I have a product that has 3 variants - size, colour, orientation (I'm selling prints).

What I need to do is make certain variants only available based on other variants being selected.

For example, currently, if you want to buy a square print from me and you select the 'Square' orientation then you can still choose 18x26 as a size in the 'Size' drop-down menu (even though this size is only available for Portrait and LAndscape variations).

It won't let you proceed to checkout with this option which is good, but what would be great is if you select 'Square' variant in the 'Orientation' dropdown then only those 'Size' options allocated to the Square variants will be shown.

Does this make sense?

I'll try to explain it another way.

I have a print called Ocean. I sell it in a range of sizes, orientations and colours.

If I select '12x12' in 'Size' dropdown then only the 'Square' orientation should be shown in the 'Orientation' drop down.

On the flip side of that. If I select the 'Square' variant in the 'Orientation' dropdown then the only variants shown in 'Size' dropdown should be 12x12 or 16x16 (those for the square). And not 12x16 or 24x36 (those allocated to portrait & landscape).

However, at the moment all variants are still being shown in every drop-down regardless of variant selection.

Can someone help please?

Cheers,

Nathan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
110 20 41
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi Eric, 

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've tried all of the options listed in this thread and those linked within it but it still doesn't seem to be working.

All of my variants are valid, it's just that some should only be visible upon certain conditions being met (dropdown selections made).

That said, when I tried the mentioned options in this link nothing changed on my page.

Any other help?

I should probably mention that I'm using Debut theme

1 Like
Highlighted
6 0 0

0 Likes
2 0 1

I am facing the same issue. I'm building a shop for a client that sells discounted train tickets. When a user wants a roundtrip he can select the departure and return variants (each variant is a specific date-time train travel). But if I select a departure on January 1st I don't want to see any of the possible return variants that have 0 inventory (for example all the return dates that are prior to January 1st). Any solution for this is be greatly appreciated. It is actually simple: Once one variant field is selected don't allow the other variant to have values that have 0 stock. 

0 Likes