How do I edit my theme without going live?

lhout69
Excursionist
22 2 1

How can I edit my Debut shopify theme and add a new custom paid theme to my store, without making it live? That way I can edit everything and re-instate my ads with a new looking shopify. 1000 sessions a day and only 4-6 sales in a week. Definitely needs some improving.

0 Likes
KarlOffenberger
Shopify Partner
1867 182 777

There are some good documentation and tutorials available on this subject. You can preview any theme. You can only edit themes that are either free or you have paid if they're commercial. When preparing your re-launch you can edit the code, settings etc. of your unpublished theme and preview to make sure the changes are good to go. The only limitation you'd have is if you wish to change navigation items etc. as those would apply to your currently published theme as well - but you can always create a new navigation menu that's only used on your new theme so you don't have clashes.

Hope this helps!

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
Rockpapercopy
Shopify Expert
1208 61 364

I currently do that for a customer. After you have added a theme, simply customize it [pick this option from the theme's drop down menu], without publishing it:Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 06.39.25.png

You can then preview it and share the preview link with anyone for the review. 

0 Likes
MensCompass
1 0 0

Wow, those are amazing stats. I get 10-70 visitors a day and rarely get a sale. My store is compass-lifestyle.com.

@lhout69 wrote:

How can I edit my Debut shopify theme and add a new custom paid theme to my store, without making it live? That way I can edit everything and re-instate my ads with a new looking shopify. 1000 sessions a day and only 4-6 sales in a week. Definitely needs some improving.

0 Likes
Bakukus
Tourist
5 0 2

I'm struggling with the same question - I'm redesigning my site to prepare for full launch, including completely new navigation and products and I can't figure out how to do that in my new theme without it changing my live site. I see that I can can customize colors and home page layout etc. in the new theme, but how do I experiment with different navigation and product pages? Do I need to start from scratch and create a whole new shopify account and then somehow transfer it over?

Thank you for anyone who can point me in the right direction!

William_Waller
5 0 0

0 Likes
Bakukus
Tourist
5 0 2

0 Likes
William_Waller
5 0 0

"but you can always create a new navigation menu that's only used on your new theme so you don't have clashes."

Hi Karl,

I am updating my store and would like to make main menu navigation changes on the theme that is not live without changing the navigation  on the live site.  Is this possible? Can you tell me how or point me in the right direction of documentation on how to do this?

Thank you, 
Bill

0 Likes
William_Waller
5 0 0

Thank you!   I am using the same theme, just wanting to have what is essentially a version 2 of the site with new navigation.  It seems very odd that I can build the entire look and feel of the site but not change the navigation without effecting the live site.  How would I ever be able to test the functionality?  Anyway, thank you for your reply!

0 Likes