How does "sort by featured" work?

gavsiu
Visitor
3 0 0

I can't figure out how products get featured. I'm using the Venture theme if that makes a difference.

Replies 13 (13)

Max
Shopify Staff (Retired)
583 19 93

Hi, Gavsiu. 

This is Max from the Shopify Team. 

Are you looking to use the featured product or featured collection sections on a theme's homepage? If so, you should be able to select relevant products or collections right from the theme editor (Online Store > Themes > Customize > click Featured Collection). Here's what this looks like in my test store using Debut:

If you don't already have a collection created for your featured products you can follow these steps to create a new collection. Then if the you'd like to change the sort order for the products in a collection, you can do that as well! Just follow the steps listed here.

If you need any more support or clarification, please let us know here or reach out to support directly!

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

gavsiu
Visitor
3 0 0

I meant the "sort by featured" on any collections page (all or any specific collection).

Max
Shopify Staff (Retired)
583 19 93

Hi, again.

The sort by featured option is organized based on the way your collection would be shown in manual sort!

So, for example, if you sort manually and then change back to say low to high price, the sort by featured option will pull from the most recent version of your manual sort. Here's an example in case that's unclear;

Current low to high sort (how the page loads)
Admin:

Online Store:

Same settings, using sort by featured (shows most recent manual sort)
Admin:

Online Store:

Let us know if that helps clear things up! If things aren't showing that way in your theme, feel free to get in touch with us!

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

JoeB-CO
Excursionist
18 0 20

Either the solutions provided aren't working or I am seriously dense. On my main Shop page in the Debut theme the "Filter By" is set for "All Products" and the "Sort By" is set to "Featured", but it still sorts alphabetically. I have gone into each individual collection and manually sorted, but there is zero effect on this main shop page when all products are displayed. Even when I select something to filter on, other than "All", when they are sorted by "Featured" they are still appearing alphabetically A-Z. Do I need to change a setting somewhere so this Featured sort option actually works? Can I control how it sorts?

Ninthony
Shopify Partner
2330 350 1024

Could you share your store url? Because the above is correct, it's based on manual sorting and that would be odd behavior.

If my solution helped you, please like it and accept it as the solution!
If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish 😄
JoeB-CO
Excursionist
18 0 20
Ninthony
Shopify Partner
2330 350 1024

Rereading your initial post I see the problem. You're organizing your collections but the collection you're trying to influence is collections/all -- which is the default for all your products. You'll need to make a collection called All and edit that:

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/using-themes/change-the-layout/change-catalog-page

If my solution helped you, please like it and accept it as the solution!
If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish 😄
JoeB-CO
Excursionist
18 0 20
Rock on. Thanks a ton.
designbymeg
Shopify Partner
20 0 3

Hi @Max,

does this apply to the sort by "featured" settings when shopping all products? Rather than in a collection?

Currently the "featured" sort by on my shop all page is just displaying products in alphabetical order. I don't think you can manually order all products?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks!

gavsiu
Visitor
3 0 0

Yes, that explains it. Thanks. I forgot you could manually sort.

Max
Shopify Staff (Retired)
583 19 93

Ok, great! Glad that was able to help clear things up. 

Let us know if we can help with anything else along the way. 

Best, 
Max
support@shopify.com

docdev
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Max !
Is it possible to sort collections on homepage.
Thanks

beneseeds
Visitor
1 0 0

(Sorry to reply to an old thread but I have the same question still.)

I get how to assign a "Collection" to be the featured products on the home page by customizing the theme, which works as expected. However the "Sort by Featured" view when viewing all products simple shows the same alphabetical list as the default view. I can't see a way to influence how the "Sort by Featured" lists products. Can you help?