How to: Add Shopify Section Blocks to pages (not just the homepage!)

Shopify Expert
12 0 2

I created a video walkthrough on how to achieve this:

https://youtu.be/GbRn_T5wAFc

If you have specific cases you're trying to build out, let me know below and I'll try to help you troubleshoot.
I've implemented shopify sections outside of the homepage on a few sites now!

Stores I built: Flora1761.com (highly art-directed Nail Lacquer boutique) / Marissa-Webb.com (NYC SoHo Fashion Brand) / ViraniJewelers.com (high-volume product jewelry website) / Chuubie.com (my personal testing ground, using Shopify CMS as a stock photography sales platform)
1 Like
4 0 0

Hi Steven , I just watched your youtube video, and what you did is amazing. Congrats!! I have one simple question (I am such a newbie). Can i copy and paste section blocks from other pages to create a new one? I need to create an About Us page (I use Brooklyn theme) but I have not been able.

Thanks in advance

Juan

0 Likes
3 0 0

Yo Juan, Frank@MFJLabs here. I agree. Steven's vid is the max we've found on this specific topic. Working on that exact thing right now for a soft-launch of www.MFrankJohnson.com tomorrow.

You can copy section blocks to other pages, BUT (and that's a big but) you just gotta be careful copying. Many page-specific, static sections (called directly from a page template on a specific page) aren't coded to be portable to other pages. And, most default theme sections specifically designed for the homepage aren't very portable either.

Point? You'll almost always need to tweak sections you copy from other pages so they work on your new page - i.e., exactly what Steven and Liam did in their vids.

Also found the following (more general) resources from Liam Griffin, a total Shopify bada$$ - @gurulivin

Great article entitled, Customization Made Easy: How to Build Your First Shopify Section Block

Great webinar entitled, How to Create Custom Theme Sections and Blocks // Liam Griffin

It's a little intense if you're a 'newb' (like you said), but it's totally worth the effort. And Liam is just as easy to follow as Steven. btw - Thanks again Steven for that U2b vid.

Happy X-Mas All

Need HubSpot Help with Shopify? I build and manage HubSpot digital marketing campaigns, produce SEO'd inbound content, and develop LinkedIn B2B marketing for e-commerce bada$$es.
0 Likes
3 0 0

Yo Juan, Frank@MFJLabs here. I agree. Steven's U2b vid is the max content we've found on this specific subject. Working on the exact same thing for a soft launch of www.MFrankJohnson.com tomorrow.

Short Ans: Yes you can copy section blocks from one page to another.

Longer Ans: BUT (and that's a big 'but'), you gotta be careful about exactly what you copy and from where. Meaning, many page-specific, static section blocks aren't coded to be portable. And, most homepage sections are specifically designed for that theme's homepage, so ...

Most of the time you'll end up tweaking the code in order to get it to work on another page -- i.e., like both Steven and Liam did in their vids.

btw - We tried to port section code from another theme and found that it was just easier to write it ourselves.

Finally, found the following great resources from Liam Griffin -- a total Shopify bada$$

Article entitled, Customization Made Easy: How to Build Your First Shopify Section Block

Webinar entitled, How to Create Custom Theme Sections and Blocks // Liam Griffin

Hope that helps.

Merry-Happy All

Need HubSpot Help with Shopify? I build and manage HubSpot digital marketing campaigns, produce SEO'd inbound content, and develop LinkedIn B2B marketing for e-commerce bada$$es.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
12 0 1

Hi Steven,

Just saw your video.  Once you create that section on page functionality, can you use it on multiple pages or is just for one  page and you'd have to repeat the process for others?  Also is it possible to bring in more than one section to a page.  For instance, if I wanted Image + Text as well as a Collection List?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 0 1

Has anyone had any luck doing something like this on a template but having DIFFERENT data per page? For instance if Category: Foo and Category: Bar both use the page.category.liquid template but I want them to be able to have the same section with different data in them.

1 Like
2 0 0

I have the same thoughts and questions as Marissa. 

Is it possible to make a custom page template with a section, and to then make varients of that page template that shows different data using the same page template?

It seems like, once you define a schema in a sections > create Page A, using template A > fill out snippet data for Page A > create Page B > Page B is using the exact same schema and snippet data from Page A

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
33 1 8

If someone is still interested, we provided different approach to this problem here:

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/How-can-i-add-sections-to-a-regular-page/m-p/516155/h...

:)

Best,

Lucas

Open Source Shopify App Store - https://github.com/sellfino/sellfino
Free apps ready to download on GitHub

Join our awesome community! Here is how you can connect with us:
Website - all info here + live chat
Discord - channels to discuss new ideas and ask for help
Messanger - if you want to chat on Facebook
Email - whenever we are out of touch, drop us a message
1 Like
3 0 0

I have seen you video it works perfectly BUT there's no section remove button. could you please help me out and tell me how can I remove an added section in inner page?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
13 0 1

Hi , i created an app to help you can use section on all page  , check guide here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Kqy3rSsEw

0 Likes