How to add store favicon on checkout page?

Bulxar
Shopify Partner
82 2 22

How to add store favicon on checkout page?

*NOT ACCEPTABLE

1. PAID APPS
  2. Shopify PLUS PLAN
Replies 17 (17)

Bulxar
Shopify Partner
82 2 22

5 months later, 

Any answers?

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @Bulxar 

This is a great question and I can see that you have been waiting for a solution that works for your business for a few months now. I can see from your original post that you are aware of some of the limitations of editing the checkout and that you would need to be on a Shopify Plus Plan to access those features. 

I did connect with our internal theme support team and they confirmed that the options for editing the checkout and specifically the favicon are not available for merchants on the standard plan. It does require the PLUS plan to access it at this time. I know that wasn't the answer you were looking for but that is the case in this situation. 

If you have additional questions about this please don't hesitate to let me know.

-Shay

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Bulxar
Shopify Partner
82 2 22

So to have a favicon we still need to be at Plus Plan?

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

In order to have the favicon on the checkout pages, yes you need to be on the Plus plan. All stores are able to add a favicon to their main website pages on our standard plans, just not the checkout pages.

adforce1
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi Shay,

So, if a merchant is on the Plus platform/plan, how is it added? Can you please detail that? I can't find anywhere in regards to this, any help would be appreciated.

adforce1
Tourist
6 0 3

If you're on the Shopify Plus Plan:

checkout.liquid must be enabled, you will need to call and get this enabled. Once your have this setup, you will need to add the layout, by selecting your theme and editing the code.

on line 8 Paste this code;

{%- if settings.favicon -%}
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="{{ settings.favicon | img_url: '96x96' }}" type="image/png">
{%- endif -%}

frd77
Visitor
1 0 5

really?? to change the favicon in the checkout page, you need to be on a specific plan? That can't be real. I mean, what's the point? 

For an end user, imagine losing the icon of the page out of nothing - "ah, it's because we don't have the shopify plus plan" will be my answer in case a customer asks me any question about this.

Smokelab
Excursionist
14 0 5

Do I need to call shopify support to enable that liquid file? What if I have a third party theme, does this still apply?

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @Smokelab 

Adding a favicon the checkout page could have potential security risks as Favicons can be carriers of malware or other unwanted content. 

To maintain the security of the checkout experience, we do not allow merchants to add a favicon to the checkout page unless they are on our Shopify Plus plan. Only merchants on the Shopify Plus plan will have access to edit the checkout experience in this way. You can read more about this in our Help Center here: Customizing and editing your checkout · Shopify Help Center.

Rick_Ursem
Tourist
3 0 8

Hi Shay,

why don't you just add a universal favicon for the checkout for all shops?

if you add a standard icon of a (safety)lock it will look more trust worthy for customers then were there is no favicon at all. i think that shops who don't have a plus account (like our selfs) will be happy with just a (safety)lock icon. its better than what is is now..

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi Rick! This is great feedback and an awesome suggestion. I will definitely share that with our developers for further consideration. Thank you. 

Rick_Ursem
Tourist
3 0 8

Hi Shay,

Thanks for your reply.

I really hope it will be added. it's a easy solution, and i think all shopify users wil be very happy with this. hopefully we get a lot of likes for this solution.

can you keep me/us updated about this?

Rick_Ursem
Tourist
3 0 8

Hello Shay,

Hope you are doing well?

I was just curious if anything is known about the favicon solution? have you been able to suggest it to the developers yet?

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @Rick_Ursem 

I have submitted this feedback to our developers, but I don't have any further information about if this will be coming down the pipeline at this time. Hopefully this is something we will consider in the near future. 

D666
Excursionist
23 2 7

@Rick_Ursem @Shay  It's really important to address this. The current situation makes our stores look dubious/unprofessional/defective at the critical point when the customer opens the wallet.

HeadHoncho
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Extremely disheartening to see that this issue has been going on for years and that they still haven't been able to come up with a solution!

@Rick_Ursem's suggested solution of a standard icon would work great and should be really quick to implement? Wondering what's the hold up or reason not to do it

D666
Excursionist
23 2 7

@Rick_Ursem @Shay Definitely a great idea!