How to add the "Search For Product" icon at the header

1 0 0

Hi all,

I'm using the Narrative Theme for my shop (petitespaws.com).

In my shop, the "Search For Product" icon is hiding in the hamburger but I would like to make it more prominent, so that customers from IG can find the products more easily.

Does anyone know how to add the "Search For Product" icon at the header (i.e. just besides the shopping cart icon) ?

Thanks a lot !

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
255 25 53

Hi, @ChloeL!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Thanks for sharing the link to your store. You've done a great job and I love the imagery and video you've added. I also noticed that you've published some blog posts. Having a blog is a great business practice and can help build a long-term audience and improve SEO. If blogging is something you'd like to continue, I recommend checking out this useful guide, "How to Start a Blog That You Can Grow Into a Business". This guide includes some tips on how to create a publishing strategy, promote your posts, and build your audience. 

To answer your question, unlike other themes like Brooklyn and Debut, the Narrative theme does not include a built-in search option in the header. Instead, you'll just need to either add this feature with some custom code, or use an app. While we have quite a few search apps in the Shopify App Store, there are a few popular ones in particular I recommend checking out:

• Smart Search & Instant Search: This app offers instant suggestions, autocorrection, synonyms, and redirects. The search results page also includes a quick view option, and add-to-cart buttons, making it easy for customers to get a solid overview of products that came up in the search results. 
  • Product Filter & SearchThis app is highly customizable and offers features like availability filters (only in-stock products will appear), sale filters (only products on sale will appear), and includes "did you mean?" suggestions if no search results are found. 
  • Omega Instant SearchThis app will provide you with in-depth analytics so you can see which products are being searched for the most. The developers also offer installation assistance and will help with tweaking the app to best suit your needs.

All three of theses apps have excellent reviews and are quite popular. I recommend taking a look at their app pages, including their screenshots and their example stores so you can get a feel for how each app works. They also offer free trials so you can test the app out yourself. Once you decide on which app you'd like to use, just make sure to uninstall any unwanted apps before the free trials expire to avoid being charged. It's also worth noting that if you ever need help with any of these third-party apps, you can always find the developers' contact information directly under the Support section of their app pages. Many apps also include links to their help docs and FAQs you can usually find directly within the app or on their app page in the App Store.

Aside from using an app, you could add this feature by customizing your theme's code. If you aren't comfortable with coding and aren't working with a web developer, my suggestion would be to reach out to a Shopify Expert for assistance. We have quite a few experts in our Shopify Experts Marketplace skilled in web development who would be happy to help.

I hope these suggestions guide you in the right direction and I'm curious to know what you think! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes