How to build bookstore with shopify?

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 4

How to add fields like ISBN, Book Language, Dimensions, Author, Publisher and more?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
554 37 93

Hi, there!

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! When you start to add your products to your Shopify Admin, you will be able to add in information about your products in the 'Product Description' box of the product page. To add one of your books as a product, you would want to go into your Shopify Admin and find the Products section > All productsFrom the Products page you will want to click 'Add product.' You can then start adding in your product information, like the book title along with any additional details. The product description box uses the rich text editor to allow you to customize the text content you're adding in. You can check out how to use the rich text editor, here, if you're curious. 

If you're looking for a feature that would allow your customers to filter through those ISBN, Book Language, Dimensions, Author, Publisher fields, then you might want to look into tagging your products. You can use tags to label your products with different fields, like those that you had mentioned. Tags would be enabled on the product page. You can read all about how to add tags and how they work from your Shopify Admin in our handy help guide.

To add a tag to your products:

1. Head into your Shopify Admin.
  2. Find the Products section > All products.
  3. From the Product page Organization section, you can begin to add in your specific tags. 
  4. Save.

After you've added in your fields as product tags, you could then begin to look into filtering your product collections by tags. This would allow your customers to filter through all of your products by the specific field/tag. You can check out how you would enable this type of functionality from within your Shopify Admin by following our doc, here!

I hope this has answered your question. If not, or if you have any further questions please let me know. I will be happy to help!

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Karlie,

I am just beginning to migrate my ebookstore  to Shopify. My previous platform was set up with a data base of book information. I would enter the isbn and voila, I would get a thumbnail and specs. I now need to find another source for this information so I don't need to enter by hand. Any ideas? Also can you suggest a Shopify expert who has done this for a bookstore in the past?

I'd really appreciate it!

Lili

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
554 37 93

Hello, @Lili_JKBAC!

Karlie here once again! If you're wanting a faster way to upload your product details to your store then your best bet would be to upload your products via a spreadsheet format called CSV. If you're able to export your past product list, you may be able to easily adjust that export list to be formatted like a CSV file and then you can simply upload it to your store. I would recommend checking out our CSV guide, here, to see how you can use the CSV method to upload your products in bulk. You can also use that guide to download a sample CSV so that you can view the format that the spreadsheet needs to be in before uploading. 

While I don't know of any Shopify Experts that would handle online bookstores, you could take a look at Shopify Experts that specialize in store setup and product upload. I would recommend taking a look at these Shopify Experts, if you're interested.

I hope this has answered your question. If not, or if you have any further questions please let me know. I will be happy to help!

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes