How to change image when sharing on Facebook?

Solved
2 0 0

Hello all. I am currently using the debut theme for my site. When I share the link to my site in facebook via the messenger app - the logo for my site is used - but it is too large for the preview and looks bad.

shopify forums.png

I looked into the open graph markup and inserted a specific image in the og image field in the social-meta-tags.liquid file , but it is not being picked up. I was able to change the existing title parameter and got that to change on the preview, but with the image no luck. 

{%- assign og_image = "https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2454/9421/files/Banner_with_text_grey.jpg?674" -%}

Has anyone had luck with solving this issue? Thanks. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
141 32 36

Hi @drustin2 ,

Dani here from Shopify!

Thanks for writing in! You can actually edit this within the Theme Editor (Online Store > Themes > Customize). Once in the Theme Editor select Theme Settings from the menu on the left, and select Social Media.

Here, you will see an option to upload a social sharing image. This image will be used when your website is shared on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Have you started marketing your store on Facebook yet? I know it seems early but we're coming up on the biggest shopping season - Black Friday/Cyber Monday! I thought you may be interested in our Advanced Facebook Ads: Customer Acquisition. I have a bit of experience with Facebook ads myself, but found this course really informative and full of new tips.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to continue helping you!

All the best,

Dani

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
2 0 0
Thanks for your reply. Do you know if this option exist on the debut theme? I don't see it under Social Media.

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
141 32 36

Hey @drustin2 ,

You should be able to do this in the Debut theme! I've created this video to show you how to do this within Debut.

If you're not seeing that option, I'll have you check your Debut version. It may be that you are using an out of date version of the theme. You can follow these instructions to update your theme. Just remember, if you do this to make a copy of your current theme so you don't lose any customizations! 

All the best,

Dani

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes