How to create 'product types' and asign more than one to a product

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Hi, I am creating my store in shopify but keep coming up against hurdles that are getting harder to solve. I am trying to make my products easily searchable for my customers but its hard when it seems that I have to categorise things in an unnatural way.

I have over 200 products and these may have up to 20 variations in them based on size and colour. I have mutiiple categoeries and products will fit into more than one category. Shopify uses the word collection where I would use category. I have currently set up a collection for each of my product types/categories and each of my brands/vendor - partly because my migration did this automatically for me.

What I need to do is alter the product types - these were set when I did the migration but I want to change some of them and add others that didn't come through and delete others that are actually vendors but they are showing up in the product type listing. I cant find instructions on how to do this.

I also need to asign more than one product type to each product. One dress can be a maternity dress and a breastfeeding dress. Or something is a skirt and a dress. In one template that I am using it lists the product type at the top of this listing but of course it only lists one product type. I would like it to show the two or three types to avoid confusion and also to show the versatlity of the product. Also if I could list more than one product type it will help me with how I set up my menus as this is driving me crazy at the moment.   How do I solve this?

Thanks
Claire
https://soul-mothers.myshopify.com
password: tijozi
I plan to use a different template to this one that will show but as I'm experiencing difficulties with the template I havent published it yet.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

I will just add to the above - I have put tags in each of my products so I can use these to categorise products in some instances. But the template I want to use has a predetermined set of options that I can use to create a menu - these include collections widget, vendors widget, product type widget and products widget - product tags are not an option.  But because my product types are not comprehensive enough, my customers will not see all my products in one category if I can't assign more than one product type category. Asigning multiple product types would be the simplest way of categorising my products, if only I could work out how to do it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
10006 116 1818

A product can only have one Type.

Just like a car, it may have different models but it's still a car. Models in this example should be deemed to be tags. So in your example:

Product one: Type = dress, tag = maternity
Product two: Type = dress, tag = breastfeeding

Some info on tags:
https://docs.shopify.com/manual/your-store/products/edit-tags

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Thanks for your response but I have tagged everything and cant use the side menus in the template I have to categorise by tag. It will only allow vendor, collection and product type and my products fit in more than one category. I disagree that something can only be one product type. As I described, one product in my store is a maternity dress and it is a breastfeeding dress. It might be a dress but they are two distinct categories and my customers would not search under 'dress', they are coming for a particular type of dress, ie product type - they will either be looking for a matenity dress (that has a dual purpose as a breastfeeding dress) or they will be searching for a breastfeeding dress.  As I can't choose more than one product type then the product type field is meaningless in my store - I will never use this as a way to categorise my product or half of my products wont show up in particular categories and therefore customers wont see them. This doesnt suit my products or the way people search for them.

I have tried to install bacon mega menu which would help me to some degree but it wont work in the template I have and unless the people who designed the template can fix that (waiting on a response), then I'm going to have to forget about using shopify. I'm also trying to get a collection app installed so customers can search by my tags, but if the Bacon app wont work, maybe this wont work either? 

My frustration levels are really high at the moment because I have done all this work and you cant search for products in my store because things dont work or dont work in the way I need. Actually they work in the free template but the front page of the free template is too basic and, well ugly when you just shove random products on it.  I've seen other Shopify stores work in the way I want - not sure why things arent working for me.

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

are two word product type allowed?

like: Silver Ring, or 14K gold ring?

0 Likes