How to customize the discount code error message at checkout?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I am using the new Shopify Buy X Get X discount code feature, and want to customize the error message customers see at checkout if they haven't added the right number of items to their cart to use the dicount code.

The default message is "Your cart does not meet the requirements for the ABC discount code"

Is there a way to modify this to encourage conversions? Right now that's a pretty defeating messsage that doesn't help users fix the problem with their cart and convert. I want to tell them something like "Add one more product to qualify for the ABC dicount code"

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1459 89 320

Hey there!

Peter here from Shopify Support!

The good news is that this error message can be changed, however, the bad news is it wouldn't be possible to customize this per discount code offered.

To alter what appears, you'll want to navigate to Online Store/Themes. From here, you'll need to click on "Actions" then "Edit Languages:"

In the new page that loads, you'll want to enter "discount" in the search box:

Under the "Checkout & system / Checkout order summary" you'll find a text field for "Customer does not meet discount requirements notice:"

Anything you enter in this box will be what appears when your customer doesn't meet the requirements the discount they are using. 

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. but i want some custom error message for each discount coupons.

Thanks & Regards

Suraj

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

We customized our discount requirements error message in the language settings, but our custom error message is not showing for all users. Some users are getting the default error message and I can't figure out why. Please advise.

Screenshots below:

Language settings for coupon code error messageLanguage settings for coupon code error messageCorrect message appearing for some usersCorrect message appearing for some usersExample of wrong message appearing for other usersExample of wrong message appearing for other users

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I'd like to add hyperlinks and emphasis to my custom error message but the HTML code appears on the site rather than effecting the text. Is there a way to make this work?

0 Likes