Solved

Can you delay payment authorization on Shopify orders?

kristina85
Tourist
8 0 0

My business is selling gently used goods. Is there a way where I can have a buyer process an order and the charge is authorized on their credit card (but not processed). Then I have 24 hours  to confirm the item they want is still available. After this 24 hours, I can either have their card charged or cancel the order? Basically, I am looking to "approve" the order before their card is actually charged.

Can I do this somehow through the "manually capture payment of orders"? I still want shopify to process the actual payment (I dont want the customer to have to e-transfer the funds, etc).

Thanks! 

Accepted Solutions (2)

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there, @kristina85 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

Thank you for getting in touch regarding this. Setting your payments up to be manually captured is exactly how you would achieve this. When a customer makes a payment using a credit card, the payment information needs to be captured and sent to their bank for processing. Once you have set up manual capture, then you'll need to capture the funds for each order from the Orders area of Shopify. Please note that if you are capturing payments manually, then you will have to capture the payment for each order before the authorization period for that order ends. You won't be able to collect any money for an order after the authorization period ends. The authorization period for capturing payment varies depending on your credit card payment provider. For example, Shopify Payments provides an authorization period of 7 days. You need to capture a payment within the authorization period to collect money for your order.

To set up your payments to be captured manually, please do the following:

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

My absolute pleasure, @kristina85 ! We are absolutely on the right page, you are absolutely correct! 

All the Best,

Bo

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @kristina85 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

Thank you for getting in touch regarding this. Setting your payments up to be manually captured is exactly how you would achieve this. When a customer makes a payment using a credit card, the payment information needs to be captured and sent to their bank for processing. Once you have set up manual capture, then you'll need to capture the funds for each order from the Orders area of Shopify. Please note that if you are capturing payments manually, then you will have to capture the payment for each order before the authorization period for that order ends. You won't be able to collect any money for an order after the authorization period ends. The authorization period for capturing payment varies depending on your credit card payment provider. For example, Shopify Payments provides an authorization period of 7 days. You need to capture a payment within the authorization period to collect money for your order.

To set up your payments to be captured manually, please do the following:

kristina85
Tourist
8 0 0

Thank you very much Bo! Very helpful!

It sounds like as long as I don’t capture the payment and the authorization period expires, their card would not be charged at all! That’s exactly what I would want to happen if the product has been sold and I can’t fulfill the order. Just let me know if I am misunderstanding (but I think we are on the same page). 

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

My absolute pleasure, @kristina85 ! We are absolutely on the right page, you are absolutely correct! 

All the Best,

Bo

Sforero
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Bo,

Just wanted to piggyback on this thread and ask if there is a way to delay the automatic capture? The reason I ask is because we have a large store that want to migrate to Shopify, as per company policy we only capture the payment once the goods are shipped. Is there an app or setting we can use to set the capture on a delay?

Cheers, 

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @Sforero 

Great question. We have a great guide to capturing payments on Shopify here. You can set your payments to be captured manually, so, when you have marked your payments as shipped you can then manually capture the payment as well to suit your workflow.  

I hope this helps!

Bo

Sforero
Tourist
3 0 1
Hi Bo,

Thanks for your response, I know that you can toggle manual and auto capture. What I’m looking for is a delay on the capture. That’s to say that capturing the payment is done automatically once the goods have been shipped. Is that possible? Maybe with an app?
Ssmith0392
Visitor
1 0 0

Did you ever receive a response to this question?