How to display a product as sold out, but without using Shopify to manage inventory

Tourist
10 0 0

I use the Shopify mobile app extensively to quickly and easily see what products of mine are out of stock.

Some of my products are one of a kind, so once sold the inventory cannot be replenished.

However once sold, these items appear on the mobile app as sold out. Which, although technically true I don't want them to display.

Furthermore, I dont want to remove these products from my site as they receive many views.

So the following was suggested to me, and I would like to know if someone can comment on it being possible:

In my theme (Retina from Outofthesandbox), create a duplicate of the product template. In this duplicate template alter the liquid so that the "Add to Cart" button does not appear. When the product sells, go to the product and change it to this duplicate template and uncheck the tick box for inventory management.

The idea being that now Shopify will think that the item is in stock (and therefore will achieve my aim of not having it show up as a sold out item on the mobile app) but as the "add to cart" button is not available it cannot be purchased. It should still display the price which the product sold at.

Can anyone comment on the above and whether it will be possible to do this?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
94 0 14

Hey Terry,

This is Oswald, a Guru here at Shopify!

What you have described should be possible!

With the Retina theme, you will also need to duplicate the product-form.liquid snippet in order to maintain the price within the product page while hiding the "add to cart" button.

You can try the following:

• Create/duplicate a new product.liquid template
  • Create a new snippet and copy the code from the current existing product-form.liquid snippet for the theme
  • In the new snippet file, you will need to locate and comment out the following piece of code so the "add to cart" button and quantity box is hidden. You may hide any other information you might not want to display within the snippet.
    {% if settings.display_product_quantity %}
      <div class="left">
        <label for="quantity">{{ 'products.product.quantity' | t }}:</label>
        <input type="number" min="1" size="2" class="quantity" name="quantity" id="quantity" value="1" />
      </div>
    {% endif %}
    <div class="purchase clearfix {% if settings.display_product_quantity %}inline_purchase{% endif %}">
      {% if settings.cart_return == 'back' %}
        <input type="hidden" name="return_to" value="back" />
      {% endif %}
      <input type="submit" name="add" value="{{ 'products.product.add_to_cart' | t }}" class="action_button add_to_cart" />
    </div>  
  • Lastly, In your new product.new.liquid template you will need to edit the line "{% include 'product-form' with 'product' %} to reflect your snippet (i.e.   {% include 'newsnippet' with 'product' %}.

You may also want to check out Out of the sandbox's documentation/guide here for removing price and 'Add to Cart', for 'Contact for Pricing' Items as an alternative also specifically for their Retina theme.

I hope the above is helpful! Let our team know if you have any other questions!

Cheers!
Oswald

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
84 0 11

I'll move this to Shopify Design 

0 Likes