How to handle operations in different countries - retail online store

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

I have a .au domain running a shopify store and it's going well. I sell physical product here.

I'm about to start selling in the UK. I own a .com domain (it's the same as the .au domain minus the .au).

Has anyone mucked around with the best way to handle this?

The way I see it there is a few options.

1. Keep the site at .com.au domain, and just enable shoppers from UK to shop on the site, auto change currency based on their location, and enable improved shipping rates through shopify.

- Pros: Easy
- Cons: I'm guessing it's not the best for SEO, and people in UK may be hesitant to shop at a .com.au store, also I'd have to have one set of inventory for two locations which will be annoying

2. Create a new site the .com domain, do a full copy of the australian store and have a new shopify account

- Pros: Standalone site makes it easy for inventory, shipping, currency
- Cons: Two shopify accouts to manage (and pay for). Doesn't look easy to replicate an entire site (7 steps or something)

3. As above but use a .uk domain

4. Change my current shopify setup to purely be .com, and use some special auto geo locating thing that I don't know about

Any thoughts?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey David_Watts, did you have any luck with this, I am trying the exact same thing, and not quite sure where to turn.

Two sites doesn't sound the worst, and yes double the cost is irritating, but not the end of the world, any ideas?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I would like some info on the expansion of my au store also into other Countries, which is the easiest and best way to go. Is it duplicating my store overseas and having the web address suited accordingly? Or is there another way/

@Fractel wrote:

Hey David_Watts, did you have any luck with this, I am trying the exact same thing, and not quite sure where to turn.

Two sites doesn't sound the worst, and yes double the cost is irritating, but not the end of the world, any ideas?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
191 3 12

Hi there! While expanding markets overseas to new countries, I suggest you to run a new store. It gives you the best flexibility to control differences of currencies, prices, products, stock availability, shipping cost etc among different countries. Your visitors will see their local currencies etc. immediately that help build trust and support purchasing decisions. 

With your multi-regional sites, to avoid your visitors getting lost among your sites, you can auto direct visitors based on their location. For example, you may use Geo Targetly. It detects your visitors' physical locations based on IPs. You can easily set up redirecting rules use its Geo Redirect tool; each location associates with individual URLs. In this way, regardless of whichever URLs your visitor clicks on, if he is in UK, he will be redirected to UK url.

Come to SEO. It's a common issue of duplicate content regarding multi-regional sites, as sites have multiple versions with only slight variant. To avoid google penalty that impacts your SEO, it's important to tell google your site structure. URL is an important element. For example, if you are using co.uk domain, google could easily understand that you are targeting UK market. You can also set up hreflang tags telling google your targeted countries with the linked URLs. So your visitors from particular country will only see relevant website pages from google search result. More details on hreflang tags setting, you may read the post: https://geotargetly.com/hreflang-seo-guide-for-multilingual-regional-websites

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Thank you for the info, just to be clear are you suggesting to us not to continue using the “multi currency” options on our website because its best to launch websites in the regions we are selling to?
0 Likes