How to remove Billing Address fields

Highlighted
7 0 0

My customers are Chinese (predominantly outside China)and pay using their WeChat account using a QR code I send them in their order confirmation email. 

As such I only have the “manual” payment method enabled for a custom type I call “WeChat payment” and all other  payments methods are deactivated. 

The problem I have is that customers are still asked to enter Billing Address when they click on the CHECK OUT button. 

I need their name and email but NOT their address. In fact this is putting some customers off proceeding past this screen as they don’t want to enter their address. 

Is there a way to remove the address fields?

Also Is there a way I can add a custom field to this form as I’d like them to enter their WeChat ID here too?

Thanks. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 0 14

Hi Paul Lewis,

Maggie here, Shopify Guru. :)

I'm afraid that it's not possible to edit the checkout besides changing the language (under Shopify Admin > Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit Languages) and the options that you would have under the Themes > Customize Theme > Checkout part of your theme editor.

That said, we can't remove address fields. The reason for this is because our checkout is a secured page, which we require for staying PCI compliant. There are some limited changes that are available on the Plus plan, but you would need to speak to that team directly to see if this is something you could do. We can refer you to that team, if interested! Just give us a call or chat us 24/7, if you have any more questions!

- Maggie M | Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Maggie, 

I have an additional question about modifying the checkout billing address. Currently, we are only working with local companies (in California specifically), and I want to lock the country as "United States" and the province as "California", but I am unsure of how to do this.

1. I already limited the locations that we will ship to in the Settings->Shipping-> Shipping Zones section

United States Domestic - California Only

2. I locked the country and province in the "New Address" forum.

<label for=“address_country_new">Country</label>
<select id="address_country_new" name="address[country]" data-default="" disabled=""><option value="United States" >United States</option></select>

<label for="address_province_new">Province</label>
<select id="address_province_new" class="address_form" name="address[province]" data-default="California" disabled=""></select>

***I want to apply this same kind of logic to the Online Store->Action->Edit Code-> customers/order.liquid-> order.billing_address.province, but I'm unsure how to due to the formating of the code:

<p>
      {% if order.billing_address.company != '' %}
        {{ order.billing_address.company }}<br>
      {% endif %}
      {{ order.billing_address.street }}<br>
      {{ order.billing_address.city }}<br>
      {% if order.billing_address.province != '' %}
        {{ order.billing_address.province }}<br>
      {% endif %}
      {{ order.billing_address.zip | upcase }}<br>
      {{ order.billing_address.country }}<br>
      {{ order.billing_address.phone }}
    </p>

Is there a way to lock the country and province, as I did in the other form? Or is there a way to generate an error to appear if United States/California are not selected?

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

Hi Maggie, 

We have the same problem with "requiring" our customers to enter their billing address for manual payment options. Can we make the billing fields "optional"?

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 3

I also have this issue. you'd think they would have an option to remove it after all of these similar complaints. 

0 Likes