How to remove side margins in Debut Theme?

Tourist
7 1 0

Hi! I'm looking to remove the side margins from my Debut-themed website: www.urbanestudios.co. As you can see, the horizontal line dividing the sections supposedly doesn't stretch until the end of the site due to side margins. 

How may I do so?

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 3.41.20 PM.png

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
680 42 104

Hello @paolourbane

This is Ren from the Shopify support team, thanks for your post. 

Removing the margins isn't recommended. Shopify themes, like Debut have been professionally designed and what you are referring to is called whitespace which is actually quite important in e-commerce and web design. 

Whitespace can be used to control how a user interacts with the content on a page — an ability that is perhaps most important in the e-commerce context.

It is done using three basic principles: focus, organization, and emphasis. By utilizing these three tenets of whitespace, designers can have a massive impact on the success of their e-commerce brand (or that of their clientele), by directing where users look, scroll, and click.

You can read more about the purpose and important elements of whitespace here. May I ask why you're wanting the dividers to stretch? Perhaps I can help find a different theme for you that simply eliminates the use of dividers altogether. What are the most important functions in a theme to you? 

Looking forward to assisting you further. 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Tourist
7 1 0

Oh, I just want the dividing line to stretch towards both ends in both mobile and desktop. If there's another way of doing that without eliminating the side margins then it would be great!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
680 42 104

Hello again! 

While it's likely possible with some custom coding, I would again urge you to consider the reasons why the white space is there based on the links above. If you'd prefer to proceed, I recommend contacting a Shopify Expert through our Expert marketplace to give you a hand. Through the Marketplace, you can either browse services or create a job posting to get matched with Experts that can help you out. Learn more here. 

I
'm also still happy to help you find another theme to work with if you have some ideas on the main features you're looking for. Best of luck! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes