How to shop by collection or type from menu?

Highlighted
23 0 0

Hi everyone. I'm using the minimal theme. 

I would like customers to have the option to shop by collection or product type via the main menu. 

For example, when they click 'shop' I'd like there to be a drop down menu which has a subheading of SHOP BY COLLECTION with all collection names underneath, and then another subheading which says SHOP BY TYPE with all types underneath.

Is this possible? If so, how do I implement it?

Many thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
353 42 55

Hey, @awills!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Yeah, sure this is a great idea, it'll make the navigation nice and simple to shop. The first way you could do this is to create a menu heading called 'Shop by collection'. You can do this by clicking 'Online Store > Navigation > Main menu > Add menu item' in your Shopify admin. You would then create the menu heading 'Shop by collection'. Next, you would create all the collection names and slide them under the main heading and they will appear as dropdowns. This is explained better in this guide from our help centre here, there is also a helpful video in that guide to show you what I mean too. 

Another way to achieve this would be to use a free app like these ones here. These apps give you a lot more customised options when it comes to your navigation on Shopify so be sure to have a look and let me know what you think.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach back out. We're always here to chat with you about how things work on Shopify or any technical aspects you might need assistance with — but you can also ask us all sorts of things. If you want our opinion about your business plan or site layout, even with marketing and growth aspects you're curious about, then be sure to reach out. 

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
23 0 0

Hi thanks for the reply. I set up one of those menu apps and I can link collections, but I want customers to be able to shop by type too.

For example, is there a way I can have a menu link which goes to all products which contain the tag '------' ? 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
353 42 55

I wouldn't be sure what features exactly the app would have or if it would work with tag conditions but you can easily reach out to the app developer directly and ask them. You can reach the app developer by going to 'Apps' on the left-hand side of your Shopify admin and click 'Get support' beside the app. They will be the best ones to answer any questions about their apps.

All the best,

Lulu

0 Likes
23 0 0

Thanks LuLu. Do you know if it possible on shopify's menu (without using an app?) I will probably not continue with this menu app because I can't remove the developer's ad from it. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
353 42 55

No, it wouldn't be possible on Shopify natively. You could use the drop-down menus and add the 'Shop by type' and all the other menu's underneath it but you would need to do that manually as I explained in the first post. Have you tried some of the other apps, they may be more suited to you? 

Kind regards,

Lulu

0 Likes