How to show "Buy it now" in the dynamic checkout button instead of the accelerated checkout methods like Paypal

Tourist
4 0 2

Hi,

In the customize theme page, it looks like this:

But when come to the website product page, it becomes like this:

I've enabled accelerated checkout methods, but I want to show "Buy it now" in the dynamic checkout button instead of the accelerated checkout methods like "But with Paypal" at my product page. Is it possible to do that?

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 147

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

Great question! When you have enabled the dynamic checkout button feature from your theme editor, it means the "Buy It Now" button will change to the button dynamically changes to reflect the customer's preferred accelerated checkout method. It isn't showing up on your theme editor because it's not reading the information from your browser. Instead, it's just showing you what you have set up in the theme editor.

To explain it fully, we have to understand the difference between accelerated checkouts and dynamic checkout buttons. The two are related but not the same. 

Accelerated checkouts save customer payment and shipping information so that returning customers can more quickly complete payment for their orders. When a customer returns to a store that offers an accelerated checkout method, their information is automatically filled in at checkout. These checkout points, when integrated with Shopify payments, are Shopify Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Amazon Pay. You can enable this feature through Shopify payment settings at Settings > Payment providers. Under Shopify payments, click on Edit and on the bottom right corner of the drop-down window, you can select the checkout points you want to integrate to your store. 

The dynamic checkout button is a theme-related design that switches the normal buy button into what the customer's preferred accelerated checkout method through his/her browser's cookies and cache. The reason why you are seeing PayPal button on your browser is a reflection of which accelerated checkout method you had used before.

To solve your issue, we have to remove the dynamic checkout button feature at your current theme. Here are the steps:
1. Log on to your Shopify Admin
2. On the left hand side menu, click on Online Store followed by Themes
3. Under Current theme section, click on Customize
4. Once in the theme editor, select Product pages

5. On the left-hand side menu, under Section, click on Product

6. Uncheck Show dynamic checkout button

7. Click Save on the top right corner

Once you've removed the dynamic checkout button feature, the button will turn back to "Buy It Now" while keeping your accelerated checkouts functions. This means when your customers reach the checkout page, if they had selected one of Shopify Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Amazon Pay, their information will get filled automatically so they don't have to fill it again. 

If there’s anything else I can help you out with, please don’t hesitate to reply back and I’d be happy to help out! 

All the best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

6 Likes

Hi Jason,

Thank you for detailed info.

I'm theme developer and can't fully test dynamic checkout buttons on my dev store (no payment methods configured).

Is there a way to test dynamic checkout buttons on dev store?

Best regards, Mari

Shopify App / Theme developer
https://mpthemes.net/
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 147

Hi, Mari!

You're welcome! Here is how you can test the dynamic checkout buttons. The only thing you need to make sure is that your store has dynamic checkout buttons enabled. 

That being said, knowing that it's on your developing store where there are no payment methods configured, I suggest you run Shopify payment in the test mode. You can access it by Settings > Payment providers. Under Accepted payments section, in Shopify payments, click on Edit and checked on Test mode.

This will ensure that the transactions can be tested without using any payment information.

Let me know how it goes!

Best,

Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

0 Likes
2 0 0
Hi Jason,

I followed your advice on how to change the PayPal button back into the “buy it now button” but when I untick the “show dynamic checkout button” then yes the pay pal button disappears but no buy it now button appears either ? So if I untick the dynamic checkout then all that’s left is “add to cart” and if I tick the box then the pay pal button comes back...
how do I get it so it is just the “add to cart” button and the “buy it now button” underneath it ?
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 147

Hey, @XIWatch!

Jason here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out.

Great question. The PayPal Express button and the Buy it now button are both considered as the dynamic checkout buttons. This is why when you deselected the feature from the theme editor, both buttons will disappear together. If you only wish to remove the PayPal Express button from your store, the solution is to deactivate the PayPal Express payment gateway. You can do so by the following steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Payment providers.
  2. In the PayPal section, click Deactivate.
  3. Click Deactivate again to confirm.
  4. Don't forget to click Save at the top right corner once finished.

This way, your Buy it now button will show up normally (when enabled in the theme editor) and the PayPal Express button will disappear. 

I hope this information helps. However, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

0 Likes
2 0 0

@JasonC Based on the last reply, how can I get it to only show the "Add to Cart" button. I have no need for the "Buy it Now" and I already have dynamic buttons switched off on my theme and PayPal deactivated.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 147

Hey, @slycooper!

Jason here from Shopify support. Thanks for the shoutout.

If you have both the dynamic checkout button switched off from your theme and PayPal Express deactivated, the "Buy it now" button will disappear. 

To ensure that you've turned the dynamic checkout button off, you can follow the steps below:

1. Log in to Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes
  2. On the main screen, under the Current theme section, click Customize
    06_54-vr6fb-7k6j2
  3. In the theme editor, on the top, select Product pages
    06_56-rl8ry-983d7
  4. Once selected, on the left-hand side panel, click Product pages
    06_58-gw2fd-fqw5a
  5. After the tab opens, deselect Show dynamic checkout button
    06_00-6m5a6-umczg
  6. Check on the right-hand screen to make sure the dynamic checkout button had disappeared
    06_03-5suqg-z42fu
  7. After you've made sure the dynamic checkout button had disappeared, don't forget to click Save at the top right corner
    06_04-0d3tx-cmokw

You may have a different theme than the themes made by Shopify. That being said, the steps will be very similar or the same. Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

Best,

Jason

0 Likes
2 0 0

@JasonC  thank you for the breakdown. I'm currently using the "Empire" theme. I have "Product Pages" selected, and under my theme settings (since my theme doesn't have "Product Pages" set as a section) I have "Product Pages" selected under theme settings and I have un-checked the "show dynamic checkout button" along with saving my changes. Also, I have deactivated PayPal Express. However, the "Buy it now" still appears.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 147

Hey, @slycooper!

No problem at all. Thank you for letting me know which theme you're using. I quickly checked Empire and the steps should be relatively similar. Could you share a screenshot of the "Product pages" on the left-hand panel settings in the theme editor and the product page at your storefront showing the dynamic checkout buttons, please? Alternatively, could you share your store URL, please? This way, I can navigate through your pages and see what may be triggering this issue. 

Best,

Jason

0 Likes