How to upgrade SCSS to CSS in Debut theme?

JordanM
Explorer
53 2 7

Hi guys,

so recently while editing my theme.scss code I stumbled upon a message that tells me that it is advisable that I update my SCSS to CSS or my website's performance may drop. Here is the message:

CSS.JPG

I have made many changes to the standard Debut theme and don't know how i can update it with all that changes.

I will be pleased if anyone can help 

Thanks in advance,

Jordan 

0 Likes
r8r
Shopify Expert
1157 123 374

@JordanM depending on how exactly your code structure looks, you should most likely be able to transpile SCSS to CSS using one of the many online services such as SASSmeister.

Note: SCSS-files actually are the better development resource in almost any case – however, Shopify is moving away from dynamically transpiling the SCSS to CSS, so you might want to delete the SCSS sources from your assets/ folder, replace them with the final CSS counterparts, but still keep the SCSS files for your personal use, to be able to transpile CSS from them again at a later point.

Mario Rader [he] ★ If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission. ★ Studio Mitte
• Meine Antwort war hilfreich? Hinterlass bitte ein Like.
• Meine Antwort hat Dein Problem behoben? Bitte akzeptiere sie als Lösung.
• Ich hab dir etwas erspart? Ich freue ich mich immer über eine kleine Aufmerksamkeit
• Ja, ich biete Shopify-Services & -Entwicklung und freue mich von Dir zu hören!
• Bitte teile einen Link zu der Seite, deren Problem Du in deinem Beitrag beschreibst!

• Yes, I provide Shopify-services & -development. Feel free to get in touch!
• Please share a link to the site, which you refer to in your problem description. This incredibly increases the chances of you receiving a useful answer!
• My answer was useful? Please leave a Like.
• My answer solved your issue? Please accept it as the solution.
• I saved you time or money? I'm always happy to receive a little thank you.
JordanM
Explorer
53 2 7
Hi @r8r ,

thank you for the helpful information. I wonder if I will have any problems if  I leave my SASS files without converting them to CSS. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
0 Likes
r8r
Shopify Expert
1157 123 374

My thoughts?

probably not, as this would cause havoc since thousands of stores are using SCSS. That being said, I have heard of a first instance of someone getting their code corrupted, possibly by changes to that very functionality. So I wouldn’t guarantee it’s gonna be long term carefreeness. 

Mario Rader [he] ★ If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission. ★ Studio Mitte
• Meine Antwort war hilfreich? Hinterlass bitte ein Like.
• Meine Antwort hat Dein Problem behoben? Bitte akzeptiere sie als Lösung.
• Ich hab dir etwas erspart? Ich freue ich mich immer über eine kleine Aufmerksamkeit
• Ja, ich biete Shopify-Services & -Entwicklung und freue mich von Dir zu hören!
• Bitte teile einen Link zu der Seite, deren Problem Du in deinem Beitrag beschreibst!

• Yes, I provide Shopify-services & -development. Feel free to get in touch!
• Please share a link to the site, which you refer to in your problem description. This incredibly increases the chances of you receiving a useful answer!
• My answer was useful? Please leave a Like.
• My answer solved your issue? Please accept it as the solution.
• I saved you time or money? I'm always happy to receive a little thank you.