How to use HTML to add videos

Highlighted
8 0 0

Trying to add a video to my site without having to use youtube. I want it to be something that will load/play automatically as a customer scrolls through the website. Is there anything I can do to add that to my site? I'm using the minimal theme

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
183 16 25

Hey, @christadorned 

Thanks for reaching out today. That's a great question. If you want to include a video on your homepage, you can embed a video by adding some code into a 'Custom HTML' section in your theme editor. I actually created a screen recording, here that outlines how you can accomplish this. You can acquire the necessary code from this thread

1) Upload the video into your Files section of your Shopify store. (Click "Settings" > Click "Files"). Make sure the video file is either a .MP4 or .WEBM.

2) Copy/Paste the code listed in the thread above into a 'Custom HTML' section. Paste the URL of the video in your files section into the code as shown in my screen recording. Be sure to delete the .WEBM code if you are using an .MP4 and vice-versa for .WEBM.

3) Upon saving the video should show up. This code is set so the video will autoplay and be muted by default. If you want sound on by default you can remove

muted=""

from the code.

Let me know if that helps!

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
8 0 0

Thank you so much! This worked. 

However, the video is HUGE. Is there any way I can edit the code to make the video smaller? And how about editing it to be centered on the page?

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Bump! Does anyone know how to resize the video? I am able to put the video in with the HTML code but it's HUGE. 

0 Likes