I Can't Remove "Powered By Shopify"

Highlighted
4 0 0

I am using the default pre-launch page while start development on a custom theme and I have been unable to remove the "powered by shopify" text in the footer. I found the string in several places and no matter what I change I can't seem to remove it. What is the template or section that is being used for this page. Sorry for the n00b question, I am new to this platform. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1467 89 320

Hey, Chris!

Peter here from Shopify Support! 

We have a great guide here that outlines how to remove the "Powered by Shopify" text, however, it can be tricky at the best of times, so I'm also going to dive into the steps below!

For this example, I will be using the "Debut" theme, however, if you're using one of our other free themes the steps should be fairly similar. For starters, you'll want to navigate to Online Store/Themes and select "Actions" then "Edit Code" for the theme you wish to edit. 

From here, you're going to be looking for a folder titled "Sections" which will contain the "footer.liquid" file. Once you've located this file then feel free to give it a click so that the coding opens up on the right-hand side. 

When the coding appears, you'll want to press either Control+F if you're on a Windows device or Command+F on a Mac. In the box that appears, you'll want to type "Powered" which will pull you to the area that contains that specific word. In this example, Debut has two "powered_by_link" locations:

In this case, you'll want to go ahead and remove both pieces that appear. You'll specifically be removing {{ powered_by_link }} (brackets included) in each location. It should look like this: 

Once you've removed the two pieces of code you can hit save and that should give you the desired result!

You had also mentioned that you're fairly new to the platform, so I wanted to take this time to provide some great resources that I like to pass along to new merchants. While these resources are super handy, I would welcome you to follow up with the type of business you're setting up as I'd be happy to help source content that is more geared toward you!

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best, 

Peter
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough response. I have already done that, but I did reconfirm that I removed that code though just to be sure. I am using Debut and although I see my changes on other pages within the theme, the pre-launch page seems to be ignoring the changes. I have even checked in incognito mode to ensure this wasn't a caching issue. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1467 89 320

My apologies Chris! The password page completely slipped my mind when writing up my response. I'll be happy to provide those steps below!

Much like before, you'll want to head to Online Store/Themes, click on "Actions" then select "Edit Languages" instead of "Edit code." From here, you'll want to search the term "powered" which should pull up a variety of results. The one you're after however is under General / Password Page: Powered by HTML

Once you remove the "This shop will be powered by {{ shopify }} and click on save then it should be removed from the password page. 

Let me know if you run into any issues!

All the best, 

Peter
Shopify Support

1 Like
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Peter,
I already did that and still no luck. I even changed it to "No" and it never changed on the pre-launch page. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1467 89 320

That is super strange! In this case, I'll want to look into your store so that I can help diagnose why it's still appearing. What I'll do is send you an email to the email on your Shopify account. If you wanted to reply back to that email granting me permission to look into the store then we can get the ball rolling on finding a solution!

All the best, 

Peter
Shopify Support

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thanks Peter! The email has been sent. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

i am having the same problem with the pre-launch page. can i have assistance too please

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

yeahhhhh :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1467 89 320

Hey, @Pierre7608@kerchings!

The "Pre-launch" page was a beta feature that was different from the traditional password page. During our beta run, this page couldn't be altered outside of what was available within the theme customizer, which means the "Powered By Shopify" couldn't be removed. That said, we have since rolled back this feature and has been removed from stores as of February 20th, 2019. In this case, you should have access to the regular password page which allows you to remove the "Powered By Shopify" text by following the steps mentioned above. 

If you would prefer to just have a landing page, the Under Construction, Coming Soon, and Simple Coming Soon are good options. There are also others available in the Shopify App Store.

-Peter

0 Likes