If Slate and Timber are deprecated, how should we create new themes?

Shopify Partner
4 0 3

I am about to develop a new theme using Slate but as of March, Slate has been put on hold for 6 months. The alternative, Timber, is deprecated too. So now I'm confused, how should I go about developing a new theme without getting stuck with an abandoned framework?

2 Likes
Astronaut
952 116 219

We started a redesign of our site recently, didn't want to use Slate because of lots of bug reports. Decided instead to use this Naked Theme:

https://github.com/thisiscapra/shopify-naked

It's pretty much blank, has basic functionality. Then we just decided on using the Bootstrap Grid and doing everything else manually. Working out swimmingly so far.

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

Thanks Ninthony, although I see that the Naked Theme is no longer maintained and has last been updated over 4 years ago. Any newer starter themes out there with proper support?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

Anyone? Any help here would be highly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi!
How about another Shopify tool -  Theme Kit ?
You can use it for local development and also create a clean Shopify theme with theme new command. 

Hope, this tool will help. 

Let me know if you have questions about it ;)

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

Thanks! This is what I was looking for I think :) Would you say this is the most standard method for going about developing new maintainable themes for shopify?

0 Likes

Theme Kit is a part of Slate, but also a stand-alone tool for Shopify developers.

I used it for several projects, and all was fine.

Also, read Gavin Ballard book about theme development - https://www.apress.com/cn/book/9781484226407

In my case, it was helpful when I learned theme development basics.

Hope, it will work in your case ;)

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

After some research I also think that Theme Kit is currently the best option to use but an official statement from Shopify would be appreciated

1 Like
Shopify Partner
21 0 9

I agree, an official statement from Shopify would be appreciated.  I used to use Theme Kit years ago and was about to switch to Slate.

@steefaan wrote:

After some research I also think that Theme Kit is currently the best option to use but an official statement from Shopify would be appreciated

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
20 1 2

I've actually used a combination of Shopify Themekit, BrowserSync, Babel, Sass and so forth myself - I actually prefer it over Slate as I can fine-tune things :) There's a Node wrapper available for Shopify ThemeKit - stick to version 1.0.1 however, there's a known bug with the 'Theme Watch' node command not returning any errors.

0 Likes