Images Loading Slow

AllyThonsgaard
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi everyone, I've been working on our website for many months and we are close to launching the site (the site is still password protected). One of the things that I am having trouble with is the images load slowly when loading pages. How can I make these load faster? Do I need to save as a smaller file size - I think I've tried but then the image is blurry. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

password: lahsti

0 Likes
Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
236 41 59

Hi,
I've scanned several pages of your website with Lighthouse Dev Tool and overall it's relatively snappy and responsive, loads very well on the desktop on my end.
Speaking of mobile, there are few improvements could be made, I've attached a screenshot. Some major banner images are large in size, see if you could optimize them.
https://compressjpeg.com/

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0551/9110/9797/files/Garlicjerkystrips-2.jpg (3.5 megabytes in high resolution.)

2021-07-14 16_41_10-Uncle Ervin's _ All Products.png

Overall, I haven't noticed a substantial issue with website responsiveness.

I hope I've provided some insight!

- I help businesses with eCommerce and Marketing Technology integrations.
- For consulting work inquiries, please send me a Private Message.
- Presently working in Toronto, CANADA.
0 Likes
AllyThonsgaard
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi Nick! Thanks for responding so fast. Is it a possibility that since i've been working on this site so much and cookies/cache all that is built up that that's the reason it's loading so slow? Thanks for the extra input too. Is the image link you put below an image I should compress to load better? Thanks again!

0 Likes
Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
236 41 59

Generally, the store's cache should be automatically clearing / rebuilt when you make theme changes. Maybe, delete browser cache, to be on the safe side.
But you can start with one of the pages where you feel it's loading slow, see if you can optimize the banner images to the point where it does not distort the image quality but significantly decreases the output file size.

Best regards,
Nick

- I help businesses with eCommerce and Marketing Technology integrations.
- For consulting work inquiries, please send me a Private Message.
- Presently working in Toronto, CANADA.
JohnCodes
Shopify Partner
129 10 69

Hi @AllyThonsgaard 

I went through your site and your images seem to load pretty quick for me. It also looks like your product images are being lazy loaded and being served at their appropriate sizes. I'd double-check the sizing of your hero/banner images as these seem to typically be the oversized images on most sites.

Just for reference, you typically want mobile images no larger than 960px and desktop images no larger than 1500px.

I'd say your site is performing pretty well, but we also have an in-depth optimization guide you can go through if you'd like: How to Optimize a Shopify Site: Complete Guide to Faster Load Speed.

You could just use the guide as a checklist to see if any further optimizations could be implemented.

I hope this helps! If you need any more assistance, feel free to reach out to our optimization team at speedboostr.com/contact.

Developer at SpeedBoostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Try out our Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
Check out Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, and more automation)
More Apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing tool), Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid)
Edward-Newgate
Navigator
505 21 60

Hi @AllyThonsgaard 

I've checked your website, the image loading is just a little slow, Have you used lazy load for images? If not, you should optimize the overall speed of the site, then your image loading would be faster. To optimize your website speed, you can follow this guide: 13 Effective ways to Speed Up your Shopify store.

Hope it helps!

Was my reply helpful? Click Like or Mark it as an Accepted Solution to let me know!
0 Likes
AllyThonsgaard
Tourist
4 0 0

Thank you! I will look into working on the images. My concern is to keep the quality great and be a smaller file size.

0 Likes
AllyThonsgaard
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi Edward-Newgate, they all have lazy load in the code so that's why i was kind of confused as to why the images were loading slow, but I think it may be the file size of the images. 

0 Likes