Importing from csv with metafields

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 0 1

When importing using a CSV file, how can i add custom metafields to be imported as well?

adding columns like some_value_scope.some_parameter does not do it...

thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
523 1 101

Hey, Adir!

My name is Alex, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

At this time, it isn't possible to add custom columns to the CSV, I'm sorry to say.  While the CSV does allow for some metafields, these are exclusively for SEO and Google Shopping.  

If you need a way to import or alter those metafields, I'd suggest use of an app; Metafields Manager offers import and export capabilities, as well as bulk editing capabilities.  It's a paid solution, but it does offer a 14 day free trial; you can check it out and see if it will work for your needs before committing!

Hope that's helped!  Please feel free to let me know, and you can always give us a call or start a live chat at any time.  We're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hi Alex

What if you want metafields for a variant?

Highlighted
Explorer
52 1 56

Hi, I am looking for a way to display the country-of-origin of vegetables as a tag on top of the product images in the collection view. It looks like metafields are the way to go for storing that information - but I don't want to use yet another app for every single thing. I already have 22 apps and it slows down my store and it kills my ability to manage everything from one place (the master Google Sheet that I use to keep my products up-to-date)

Metafields in the products .csv import seems a no-brainer to me as a standard Shopify feature. I cannot understand that decision not to add this feature.

Highlighted
1 0 0

I agree with you.

It's incredible that Shopify has been around as long as it has been and yet they still rely on Apps to perform, what should be considered, basic functions. $20 per month for the priveledge of importing products with an app.

Seriously, no bullet points or customizable fields in the basic admin. The admin looks like it has been untouched since the internet was invented. So disappointed with this "solution"

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
52 1 56

So in the meantime I found out that the Excelify app does a pretty good job at this. I’m not sure yet if I will keep the app - but it’s possible.

still would prefer metafields in the basic Shopify CSV import

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
53 10 46

Hey @bredowmax 

Thank you for suggesting Excelify.

You definitely can import and export Metafields with Excelify.
In the Excelify import file have a column header "Metafield: <namespace>.<key>" to import Product level Metafields.
To import Variant Metafields, the column header would be "Variant Metafield: <namespace>.<key>".

Replace <namespace> with your Metafields namespace, and <key> with Metafields key.
For example, "Metafield: specifications.material".

We do also have a great tutorial that explains in more detail how to create, update and delete Shopify Metafields in bulk.

If you have any more questions, let us know here or contact us directly by any means listed on our "Contact Us" page.

Excelify.io | Bulk Import Export Update with Excel | https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import | https://excelify.io