Improved Search Punctuation - Supply Theme

Solved
Tourist
14 0 1

Hey! I'm having issues where users on my store aren't able to find products without including some necessary punctuation.

An example is a board game called Xi'an. Typing "Xian" won't get them to the page, the apostrophe is necessary for them to currently find it.

I know I can manually fiddle with something like the text body to include a version of spelling of "xian" but I'm not looking for a static solution.

I would like to find a solution for modifying my code or rules such that it would dynamically improve the search functionality for my store which will never require/ignore punctuation. Also I want to avoid apps here if I can since I feel this should be solvable without that.

Also I'm using Supply Theme. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
181 30 24

Hello, @NickHuey.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out.

This is a great question You can add additional search terms to the product, by using the product tags section. You can find the product tags field on the right side of the product you are creating or editing. This way you can associate ‘Xian’ to the ‘Xi’an’ product without having it included in the product descriptions. I’ve included our guide on tags if you’re interested to learn more about the other functions you can do with tags. 

It should look something like this:

28-45-zv3wl-89cx4

Keep in mind that if you’ve enabled your theme to allow customers to filter products with tags, these tags would show up in the filtered list. If this method doesn’t work for you or you have limited knowledge of HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Liquid, feel free to hire a designer or developer from Shopify Experts. Shopify Experts are experienced in making customizations with coding and can help you explore custom coding this function. 

I understand you prefer not to use apps, but I think using apps would be an easier way to accomplish this task without significant custom coding. Search apps will start to populate searches as your customers begin to type, and custom filters can be applied. I am including a few handpicked options that enhances the search functionality for you to try out. 

If you require support with these apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly through the contact information found in the Support section of the app’s page.

14_48-1s7d0-lsgap

Let me know if this provides some solutions for you to look into! If you have any further questions on this topic, feel free to reply to this thread.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Tourist
14 0 1

Hey Elias,

Thank you for your response. Your solution works. I tried your solution prior however I believe my impatience of not waiting long enough for the search feature to populate my tagged results caused me to question its validity. Thanks!

1 Like