In Need Of A Theme... Need Suggestions!

Solved
Aidan_Dodsworth
Shopify Partner
20 0 2

Hey Everyone,

We are in the process of swapping our website over from Magento 1 to Shopify. I have already done 1 of our websites which is www.carnivalpapers.com.

But we are looking to move this one as well, www.economyofbrighton.co.uk... I don't think I am going to be able to achieve anything good with a free theme, so has anyone got a good theme that would be good for us?

TIA

Aidan

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
927 87 129

Hey, @Aidan_Dodsworth.

Elias here with Shopify Support. I'd be happy to help with some theme suggestions!

I understand you don't think you can achieve anything good with a free theme. While I can't see how Carnival Papers looked like before migrating to Shopify; however, I think you did a great job. There's a good amount of content, a nice variety of sections, and some great resources (eg. store policies) for your customers on the homepage. Have you considered using a slideshow or hero image for the top of your homepage?

Looking at Economy of Brighton for any standout features, I can see that the shop has a wishlist and multi-column menus. Most themes do not have a built-in wishlist, so you may need to explore the App Store for a wishlist app. That being said, I've filtered the from our Theme Store, so you can explore a list of themes with multi-column menus. This way, you can find one that resembles with your current theme from Magento. Though you're not keen on free themes, I'd recommend checking out the Venture theme, as its the only Shopify-supported free theme that comes with multi-column menus.

Besides the wishlist and multi-column menus that I'm noticing on your current site - Are there any other specific theme features you're looking for?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Aidan_Dodsworth
Shopify Partner
20 0 2

Hi Elias,

The tissue paper website looks awful, which is why I jumped at the chance to make it look fresh and clean.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190818062319/http://www.carnivalpapers.com/

I will take a look at the Venture theme and see if this would work at all before jumping up to a paid theme. (though with a partner account at least I can test them out before making that leap).

The search function on our website is appalling, which I know shopify is great for. Just need a website that is easy to use for a customer and looks somewhat professional/buyer friendly. The wish list and feedback would be an app, so that's all good. Trying to find a theme that looks similar to what we have on Magento but more fresh and clean looking. Multi-column, sidebar, and most needed would be an enhanced filter by option.

Thanks.

Aidan

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
927 87 129

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Aidan_Dodsworth.

Thank you for following up!

I was able to view the link you shared and I can see what you mean with the search function on your Magento theme for Carnival Tissue. While the default search function on our themes are great and generally does the job, there are also smart search apps that can give the search function on your shop a few extra features. For example, Smart Search & Instant Search offers features like autocomplete, autocorrection, instant search suggestions with live product preview, and more. Smart search apps can be integrated with any theme, and if you need any help with a third-party app, the developer is always available to help - You can reach out to the developer through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

That being said, I was able to further narrow our list of themes with the features you're looking for - Here are 10 themes that comes with advanced product filtering, multi-column menu, and sidebar menu. Though I'm not seeing one that resembles your Magento theme closely; however, they are all clean and professional looking premium themes.

Let me know if you see any themes you like from this list?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Aidan_Dodsworth
Shopify Partner
20 0 2

Hi @Elias,

I've selected 4 themes that may work for us.

Free: Venture

Paid: Empire, Warehouse and ShowTime.

My plan is to add all of our products to the website and then work on all the different themes I have mentioned above to see which would work the best.

Our current website is horrible to search on, if you ask it to search A4 black sugar paper, you'll get results for multiple sizes and colours.