Is there a way to completely redesign Shopify site without impacting live site?

Hellwood_Outfit
Tourist
19 0 1

Hello All...

I am looking to completely redesign my Shopify store including both the theme and the navigational structure. As I am a terribly slow worker, is there any way to do this without affecting my live site, so I can still make sales while I am working, and when finished just overwrite the old with the new?

https://hellwoodoutfitters.com
0 Likes

Hi,

You can choose / create another Theme to work with as you need. If you don't want to use a current Navigation you need to create another one.

You can add up to 20 Themes at a time and preview any of these themes, but only one Theme can be published as the main.

After you add a Theme, you can create a link so that you can share a preview of your Theme with others. This can be helpful if you are looking for a feedback before you publish a new Theme.

Hope it helps!)
Arthur

Founder at GenovaWebArt | info@genovawebart.com
0 Likes
Hellwood_Outfit
Tourist
19 0 1

Thanks a lot for that.

But would I be right in thinking that if I change the navigation that will alter the navigation on my live site? I think this was the main issue I was struggling with as I want to completely redesign the navigation structure but don't really want to be editing the navigation of my live site while I tinker.

https://hellwoodoutfitters.com
0 Likes

As a variant, you can create other Menus and connect them to your redesigned Theme. In this case, everything will work properly in your live store.

Founder at GenovaWebArt | info@genovawebart.com
Bakukus
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi Arthur and others - 

I'm struggling with the same issue i.e. redesigning my site with new navigation and products in a draft theme without wanting to change my live site until I'm ready. How do I do your suggestion of creating "other Menus and connect them to your redesigned Theme"? I can't figure out how to create a different navigation for my draft but not my live theme. 

Also, is there a similar solution for adding new/different products to my draft theme but not my live one until I'm ready to launch them?

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
Bakukus
Tourist
5 0 2

Never mind, figured it out! For future reference...you can create multiple different menus in the navigation section outside of themes, and then in each theme you can select which menu to use for header navigation and for the footer. Those can be different across different themes.

For the product question, it looks like those can only apply to every theme (live and draft), but it's possible to just not show links to product pages in your live site at all, so people wouldn't be able to get there unless they typed in the actual url. I don't think that helps if you want to show some products but not others, and it looks like the only way to see actual product pages in draft themes is to have the product be active rather than draft.

Jimiman
4 0 0

I can help you redesign your shopify store 

0 Likes