Is there a way to update a linked file?

6 0 0

Hi, I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I have updated a pdf document (my price list) that I link to on all of my product pages and a couple of other pages too. I am wondering if there is a way to replace the current pdf file so that all the links are just directed to the updated file, or will I have to upload the updated document as a new file and then go onto each page and re-link all the hyperlinks to the updated file? 

Thanks!
Teri

0 Likes
Navigator
1137 0 120

Hi, Teri. You may want to test this with some other file on some page. I believe that so long as you delete the first file and upload the second with the exact same name, you should be fine. If you were to upload again using the same name without first deleting, the new file would be renamed with some characters added to make it unique, thus breaking your links. Again, I'd make a TEST.PDF to test this out first, but I am pretty sure this is how it works. This also presumes you just used the FILES option in admin.

Another approach (one for which I am not that knowledable) would be to add the price list as a setting in your theme. Assuming you can make it work like uploading an image file, where it gets renamed to something you specify in the settings file, you could easily update your theme to use the file specified in settings. Then if you upload a new update, it will show everyone your theme shows it.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
6 0 0

Thanks very much. I will give your first suggestion a try. 

Cheers.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

I tried this and there appears to be a caching issue.  The old PDF still shows up after being deleted and replaced with the new one?

0 Likes