Issue with content_for_header inserting unknown google-site-verification code

Tourist
4 0 1

Hi there,

Seeing some really suspicious activity in the theme settings. content_for_header is injecting an unknown Google Search console owner via google-site-verification meta tag.

Where and how can we edit content_for_header?  This is nowhere to be edited in the Shopify settings and nowhere in the Shopify documentation to explain the google-site-verification meta tag insertion.  

I marked the start and end of content for header in the html markup:

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 10.50.08 PM.png

ABJ1d5q2kGhrgdPseCHlabTlJREM0WIFVDG8f3ssick

This is owned by someone called gregbanig ?  Who I have no idea who that might be.

Any help?  Anyone seeing this meta tag being inserted.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
39 1 4

Hi,

I haven't seen this so far. I can say that content_for_header can't be edited as it is an Object from Shopify.

Have you checked your <head>-Section in your theme.liquid file? Maybe there is some old meta-tag added you are not aware of.

Best regards

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

Valid question, but basically that's why I added that delineator to indicate what the start of that output is.  In other words, this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 11.18.48 PM.png

is producing this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 11.20.30 PM.png

Finally got someone at Shopify to take this seriously, but I haven't heard back from them nor did I receive a ticket number.  So possibly someone trying to say the things I wanted to hear, turned around and swept it under the rug...  very frustrating experience and disappointed with Shopify as a dev.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
2648 60 643

@bobbyn  that's something new and not really expected:(

Basically content_for_header is a string, and you can manipulate it with liquid, though it's not recommended.

Something like this 

{% comment %} {{ content_for_header }} {% endcomment %}
{{ content_for_header | replace: 'google-site-verification', 'ignore-the-value' }}

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
1 Like
Tourist
4 0 1

Yes... definitely NOT expected. 

@tim thank you for the suggestion.  Will add it immediately so I can remove this random Google owner. However this replace approach is very much brute forced... but since Shopify is being quiet about it... I'll take it for now...

... this is not a long term solution.  Because it means that we are running this replace by pattern in every single page header rendering.  So I won't mark this as solved... but at this point... I'll take it...

Also... your suggestion is quite clever... because the first "content_for_header" allows us to pass the Shopify theme requirement validation.

0 Likes