Limit Free Shipping Options

Tourist
4 0 0

Need to figure out how to restrict the free shipping option to standard UPS ground, rather than the customer being able to ship UPS Next Day Air for free. I currenly have my store set up with accurate shipping weights, with a large variance in product weights & prices.

I would like for the free shipping option and expedited shipping options to remain mutually exclusive. 

webite: www.LoadingDockPro.com

-Phil www.LoadingDockPro.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 18 54

Hi, Phil.

This is Max from the Shopify Team. 

Based on your screenshot it looks like you are trying to use some custom calculated shipping settings with UPS. Knowing how you tried to add a free rate would be very helpful!

If you want to restrict free shipping to only be applied to certain orders adding a manual rate based on weight or total order price would be a great solution. You would then be able to set the rates to include a large range or possible orders in addition to the current UPS rates.

• Settings > Shipping > click Edit beside the desired zone > click Add rate under the desired type of manual rate

Is the goal of this to offer slower/standard shipping for a cheaper (free) rate for those who are ok waiting a bit longer? If so, I'd also encourage creating a rate with a custom title that adds a bit ore description like Standard Shipping: 5 -10 days or by describing the carrier you'll use. 

Take a look and let us know if that's helpful to the plan you had in mind. If not, please let us know some more details of what you want and why. We'd also be happy to look at your specific shipping settings over email (support@shopify.com) - let us know!

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

Well I think I've made some progress. The rates that are manually created & UPS calculated rates are mutually exclusive, but still fall under the same umbrella when creating a discount code for free shipping. 

The discount code is nice because it gives you some traking, timing & usage capabilities. Setting up a generic shipping rate allows you to isolate a single term for free shipment. 

The end goal here is to make sure I'm not selling an item for $20, and offering free UPS RED AM NEXT DAY AIR delivery - which could end up costing hundreds of dollars. 

-Phil www.LoadingDockPro.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
518 1 8

A good workaround to handle this case can be to keep the UPS shipping services as they are. In addition, you can use Shopify's Price based rates to define 'Free Shipping' when the order price is within a range as shown from the screenshot.

Free2.pngFree.png

Alternatively, if you are planning to adjust the service cost based on order totals, then you can try the Multi carrier shipping label app. With this you can adjust the shipping cost by negative 100% for a given order total range.

0 Likes