Link Mailchimp Signup Form to Shopify Newsletter Box

Tourist
29 0 3

Hi,

I'm using Minimal Theme & the theme comes with a newsletter box. Is it possible to link the original theme newsletter with my mailchimp account? I didn't use mailchimp newsletter embeded code as i may need to realign it.

At the theme Settings > Under "Footer" > Mailchimp Form Action URL, i'm supposed to put the List URL there. But i noticed that if i put the URL there, save it & then try to enter my email address to subscribe, it links me to the Mailchimp Form which i'm required to re-enter my email.

Thus, is it possible to set such that when i enter the email in the newsletter box, it automatically saves to the mailchimp list?

Thanks.

0 Likes
7 0 0

What do you mean List URL? This worked for me... if you login to your MailChimp account, click on the list, then click on Sign Up Forms, you can get the correct URL from there. Click on Embed code, and where the embed code is shown, it should look something similar to below.

<!-- Begin MailChimp Signup Form -->
<link href="//cdn-images.mailchimp.com/embedcode/classic-081711.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<style type="text/css">
	#mc_embed_signup{background:#fff; clear:left; font:14px Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; }
	/* Add your own MailChimp form style overrides in your site stylesheet or in this style block.
	   We recommend moving this block and the preceding CSS link to the HEAD of your HTML file. */
</style>
<div id="mc_embed_signup">
<form action="THIS is where your form action url is" method="post" id="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" name="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" class="validate" target="_blank" novalidate>

That is the URL you should enter into that field. Hope it works!

0 Likes
Tourist
29 0 3

Hi Amy,

The embed code works for me but it isn't something that i want to achieve. I know that there are a few steps to set up the mailchimp newsletter list for my website.

1. Use the signup form embed code and paste it on your theme.liquid (Re-positioning will be required)

2. Going to theme settings, Under "Footer" > Mailchimp Form Action URL (The Mailchimp Form Action URL can be retrieved from the Mailchimp Website)

By doing step 2, i can use the default newsletter box (the code can be found in the theme.liquid). But the disadvantage is that, upon keying the email address in the newsletter box & click on "Subscribe", it directs me to the link that i input under "Mailchimp form action URL" & subscribers will need to re-enter their email.

The below image is a screenshot of the default newsletter box that comes with the Minimal Theme.

What i want is subscribers to key in their email address in the theme's default newsletter box, hit "subscribe" & it will auto update my mailchimp list.

Anyway, i managed to achieve that. :)

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi there

Here is a helpful post from shopify support I just found on this: http://docs.shopify.com/support/configuration/store-customization/where-do-i-get-my-mailchimp-form-a...

Cheers

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Gwen,

I am currently facing the same issue as you. May I know how did you manage to fix this?

0 Likes
Tourist
29 0 3

Hi Xin Yi,

I went to theme.liquid, under the "Newsletter", i have a default newsletter box that comes with the theme which has no effect when customers leave their email address.

This is the default newsletter code for the Minimal Theme.

<div class="span4">

{% if settings.footer_display_newsletter %}
          <div class="p30">
            <h4>{{ settings.footer_newsletter_title }}</h4>
            <form action="{{ settings.mailing_list_form_action }}" method="post" id="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" name="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" target="_blank">
              <input type="email" value="" placeholder="Email Address" name="EMAIL" id="mail" /><input type="submit" class="btn newsletter" value="Subscribe" name="subscribe" id="subscribe" />
            </form>
          </div>
          {% endif %}

This is what i did.

1. I login to Mailchimp, click on the list (left-side bar) that i have created previously.

2. Once i have gotten into the list, i click on "Signup forms" > "Embedded Forms" as shown below. (The bolded codes are the ones that i have insert into the default newsletter code in theme.liquid.

<!-- Begin MailChimp Signup Form -->
<link href="//cdn-images.mailchimp.com/embedcode/classic-081711.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<style type="text/css">
	#mc_embed_signup{background:#fff; clear:left; font:14px Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; }
	/* Add your own MailChimp form style overrides in your site stylesheet or in this style block.
	   We recommend moving this block and the preceding CSS link to the HEAD of your HTML file. */
</style>
<div id="mc_embed_signup">
<form action="http://roundeworld.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=d79faf4e40fbf3903f5244fba&amp;id=8d6216f635" method="post" id="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" name="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" class="validate" target="_blank" novalidate>
	<h2>Subscribe to our mailing list</h2>
<div class="indicates-required"><span class="asterisk">*</span> indicates required</div>
<div class="mc-field-group">
	<label for="mce-MMERGE3">Name </label>
	<input type="text" value="" name="MMERGE3" class="" id="mce-MMERGE3">
</div>
<div class="mc-field-group">
	<label for="mce-EMAIL">Email Address  <span class="asterisk">*</span>
</label>
	<input type="email" value="" name="EMAIL" class="required email" id="mce-EMAIL">
</div>
	<div id="mce-responses" class="clear">
		<div class="response" id="mce-error-response" style="display:none"></div>
		<div class="response" id="mce-success-response" style="display:none"></div>
	</div>	<div class="clear"><input type="submit" value="Subscribe" name="subscribe" id="mc-embedded-subscribe" class="button"></div>
</form>
</div>
more codes below that are not relevant..

</script>
<!--End mc_embed_signup-->

The ones in bold are the embedded code from mailchimp that i have added into the default code. I think that was the only 2 codes that i changed if i didn't remember wrongly.

{% if settings.footer_display_newsletter %}
          <div class="p30">
          <link href="//cdn-images.mailchimp.com/embedcode/slim-081711.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
            <h4>{{ settings.footer_newsletter_title }}</h4>
            <form action="http://roundeworld.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=d79faf4e40fbf3903f5244fba&amp;id=8d6216f635" method="post" id="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" name="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" target="_blank">
              <input type="email" value="" placeholder="Email Address" name="EMAIL" id="mail" /><input type="submit" class="btn newsletter" value="Subscribe" name="subscribe" id="mc-embedded-subscribe" />
            </form>
          </div>
          {% endif %}

Good thing is you can use the theme's default newsletter box & no repositioning of the mailchimp newsletter box is required. And when customers join your mailing list, key in to your default newsletter box, it will auto update your mailchimp list. :D

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 287

Hi Gwen,

Your Mailchimp action URL is:

http://roundeworld.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=d79faf4e40fbf3903f5244fba&amp;id=8d6216f635

You should not be editing your theme.liquid file,at all. Try and revert those edits that you made.

The value above must be entered in your theme settings, under Footer.

Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 287

Hi Gwen, I have fixed everything up for you: a) going back to original code used in theme.liquid for newsletter signup form and b) copied your Mailchimp action URL in your theme settings. Everything works now.

For everyone who struggles with this: no need to edit any theme file! This is what you need to do: http://docs.shopify.com/support/configuration/store-customization/where-do-i-get-my-mailchimp-form-a...

Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
0 Likes
Tourist
29 0 3

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for your help & edit. Previously i was quite confused on what link to put in the Mailchimp form action url & most ppl were only saying to paste the embedded code in the theme.liquid which i didn't really want to.

Anyway, i've tried out the edits you made. Works perfectly~

Thanks a lot again :D

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi,

Is anyone able to open the link that Caroline_Schnap posted? I need help and would like to read the doc.

Thank you,

0 Likes