Listing: Way to NOT display variant photos if not selected?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Hello,

I'm attaching a photo of a VERY busy listing. Because of the 100 variant limitation on Shopify, I cannot post 9 colors of mugs with all the possible graphic variants a customer could order. I decided to list each color of mug separately and have associated mockup images to each of the variants in the standard Shopify store.  But you can see that is is truly distracting that all of the images are lining the page vertically. I really want to get rid of the thumbnails and leave it to the customer to select a design from the dropdown and then have that photo display normally as it always does.

Is anyone familiar with what needs to be done to accomplish this in my Minimalist theme? Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't see anything obvious to switch this off...  Thanks in advance!

Best,

Jo-Lynn

KJPartners

Listing Too May Pics.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2163 103 307

Can you clarify the two opposing statements?

@kjpartners wrote:

I decided to list each color of mug separately and have associated mockup images to each of the variants in the standard Shopify store.

vs

I really want to get rid of the thumbnails and leave it to the customer to select a design from the dropdown and then have that photo display normally as it always does.

You customized your theme to show images to variants that are separate products but don't know how to turn it off?

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

OK, let me try to explain better. I DID NOT customize the minimalist theme. It is as served up by Shopify. I added photos to variants to display the specific design. This is as served up by Shopify as well. When you upload images OR attach them only in the variant section, they show up in the stack of images below the text body of the listing template and then they display in all their glory on the published listing page. I can't see any way in the template to turn off the images EXCEPT for the variants to clean up and clarify the listings.

What I want is to continue ONLY using the images that are going to be displayed each time the customer selects a different design from the drop down box. The other images, now being shown vertically on the page, are too small to see what they are anyway and are only a distraction. They customer won't care about the images that are being shown all the time. They will only care about seeing the large image of the design on the mug when they select it from the list.

Just so you know, I'm not technical at all (if you couldn't tell). I don't know anything about coding. When and if I make any kind of change or enhancement to a listing page or anywhere else on our shop, it's by following the explicit instructions published by Shopify. I don't really trust myself so much to read and implement. However, having said that, just last week someone here kindly helped me to add a few characters to a line of liquid code and control the maximum number of characters someone could enter for personalization. And it worked. So apparently there IS hope for me with a little education!

Thanks!

Jo-Lynn

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

I'm attaching a mockup of what I WANT the listing to look like. The image changes as customers select a graphic from the drop down list but the huge long string of pictures for every single design is no longer displaying to clutter up the screen.Wish - Listing Too May Pics.png

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
51 1 4

Please give your url, I will do my solution directly on your site, and show you how to do that

Please Like and Accept Solution if you like my solution.
Email: inzaghi.2006@yahoo.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Our store is kj-partners.shopify.com

I definitely want to learn how to do this kind of thing myself so I can be self-sufficient!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
51 1 4

url not work

Please Like and Accept Solution if you like my solution.
Email: inzaghi.2006@yahoo.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

sorry: kj-partners.myshopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1281 169 403

This is an accepted solution.

I loaded up my minimal theme on my partner store and checked it out, looks like all you have to do is comment it out. Back up your theme just in case, then  go to Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit Code on your theme. Then go into the snippets folder and open "product-template.liquid" -- Then ctrl + f and search for "product-single__thumbnail" <-- that is two underscores. There are a couple instances of that, but you're looking for something around line 120 assuming that there hasnt been any editing done to your theme.... Actually I think I have edited this product page before, so this may not be correct. It should be pretty close though, you'll want to comment this section out:

minimal-fix.jpg

Just add that {% comment %} and {% endcomment %} like I did and I think you will be good to go.

If my solution helped you, please like and accept as solution!
If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Wow, Ninthony! Thanks for that!

Do you think there might be a way to have a separate template that I could choose as I'm building listing pages so that, in some cases I can still display the few thumbnails that might be for one listing while choosing NOT to display thumbnails on items that have 20-50 variants and get overrun?

That would actually be Nirvana today if I could do that!

Thanks so much -- I'm going off to try this on my theme right now!

0 Likes