Live Preview Custom Shoes on store

2 0 0

Hello.

I'm new to Shopify and i don't know all the limitations it has at the moment. One year ago I had a customer that wanted an eCommerce website for his shoe brand. At that time I made it using WordPress. Now he wants to move it to Shopify.

The thing is that he also wanted a page where you could customize the colors of the shoes with a live preview. The way I did it back then was with a separate page where I used JavaScript and cookies to remember the choices a user made, then used PHP to get the cookies when a "custom item" was added to card and put those at checkout in the "optional informations" field.

Now I wanted to ask if it is possible to do it the same way in Shopify, or if there is any other way as he would like to keep this option. 

You can see the old site here: Custom Shoes

Please ignore the poorly written code if you plan on looking at it.

The theme I am currently using is Supply.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
184 31 24

Hello, @trascaandrei.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

Shopify has a guide to add customization information to the products. However, this is more for line items, like asking the customer if they want engraving on their product. If you’re looking for something with live preview, similar to the example you provided, I recommend using a third-party app that specializes in product customizations and previews. I’ve handpicked a few for you to try out:

If you require assistance with these apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly through the contact information found in the Support section of the app’s page. 

I hope this provides some options for you to explore. If you have any more questions regarding this topic, feel free to reply to this thread and I’d be happy to help.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hello.

Thank you for your reply!

In the meantime I found a solution, while also keeping my old app.

If anybody needs it, here is my solution: I used cookies, saving all the choices a user made and then redirected him to the custom product buy page. I made a custom template for this product and added a custom field using the tutorial posted above. Then got all the cookies and auto completed the field with all the information and also made it read-only. When the website will be ready I will come back with how it looks now.

Andrei Trasca

0 Likes