Making a button on the homepage link to an external page

Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

Hi - I wonder if you guys can help. 

I am looking to make a button on one of the home page sections (image with text) direct to an external site not a collection etc

how do I do that. 

Thanks for the help 

C

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
176 24 21

Hi, @MonthlyTieClub!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

Great question! I have a pretty quick fix to help you out with this.

If you're using a free theme from Shopify that has the Image with Text section available, the button can be set to an external link by simply pasting the full link in the field. You can do this right in the Theme Editor.

Here are the steps:

1. Head over to Online Store > Themes > Customize.

2. In the Theme Editor click on the section you want to add the link to.

3. Clear out everything in the button link field.

4. Paste the link you want the button to go to.

For good measure, I've included a GIF that I recorded to help you out:

alt

Whenever you take a customer to an external link, it's good practice to make sure that the link you take the visitor to is conducive to helping you convert sales. Links like featured blogs, social media pages, and brand ambassadors are good examples.

Let me know how you do with the information above! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 1

lilith that is amazing 

one more quick question - is there an easy way to make links open in a new tab :) 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
176 24 21

The fastest way to have a link open in a new tab would be to add target="_blank" attribute to your links in HTML. However, this might be tedious and take quite a bit of time to do every link in your code and separating those that are external links or page links.

Instead, I recommend using this Shopify tutorial instead. This will require you to go into your theme code to make the changes, but the guide will have great step by step instructions on where to go and how to add it in.

To help give you an idea of what the steps might look like being done, I've recorded another GIF for you using my testing Debut theme. It may be different for you if you're using a different theme though so keep an eye on that:

alt

In the event, you're not too comfortable with editing your code you can certainly have a professional developer handle this for you. I highly recommend hiring one of our partners to help you with this. You can find a suitable Shopify Partner in the Experts Marketplace or request a quote by following this guide here.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes