Missing Page Title in Google Analytics ??

Highlighted
Excursionist
15 0 4

Hi,

Since yesterday night my page titles does not appear properly in google analytics (Under Real Time --> Content) and not sure why. This field always show the pate title for each page (configured for SEO).

Sorry but I don't know how attach a screenshot. I will try to describe, for example the home page instead show: "babymaC | Spanish Baby Clothes Boutique | Stylish Baby Clothes"  just show: "home" under page title and all products just show "product" and under collections just show "collection" instead the collection title or product title.

I've checked some products, collections and the home page and all of them has the page title set properly.

Do you know any idea why?

Thanks in advance

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
75 0 21

Hey there Fuensanta

Wesley here from the Shopify guru team. I haven't heard about this issue as of yet, but this will be something on Google Analytics end. We haven't changed the way we display any of our metadata so it will just be Google Analytics not displaying the data. 

-Wesley

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
15 0 4

Hi Wesley,

Thanks for your reply. I already send a "feedback" to google analytics but still I haven't got any reply from them. I was worried about if I did something wrong or something similar, I mean, if it was my fault but I've been doing some SEO checks and seems everything is OK.

Thanks again.

Best regards

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Hi!

Still nothing on this? I feel that it's a serius issue and needs to be handled! Looks like google can't read our page titles. On my search console I start getting "missing title tags" even though everything is in place!

Plz advice!

1 Like
Highlighted
Trailblazer
208 0 100

Thanks for your reply Wesley D, but you're missinformed. 

You guys have changed something. Else the library you use for Google Analytics (analytics.js) has changed something. Either way, this is an issue on Shopify's end. You guys really need to fire who's in charge of your analytics integrations, as this is common and shows a complete lack of understanding or quality assurance on that teams end.

I understand what they're (shopify dev's) are attempting to do, as I've worked with analytics.js myself, and while the intensions are good (grouping products & category pages, so special analytics can be done on them specifically) in the processes they fscked up page titles for GA. 

Please escalate this up the chain & don't claim you guys "didn't do it". You did.

Code is right on the page:

window.ShopifyAnalytics.lib.page(
          "collection",
          {"resourceType":"collection","resourceId":22742613}
        );

Documention: https://segment.com/docs/libraries/analytics.js/#page

analytics.page([category], [name], [properties], [options], [callback]);

category String, optional

The category of the page. Useful for things like ecommerce where many pages might live under a larger category. Note: if you only pass one string to page we assume it’s a name, not a category. You must include a name if you want to send a category.

Notice how no "name" is passed in the function call. Notice how it's mentioned in the docs. That's the problem.

This change was rolled out May 26, 2016. It's been rolled out to 3 of the Shopify stores I have checked.

I assume it effects all your stores. So you might want to look in to it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
208 0 100

Submitted this thread back to support. Will post response once received. I suggest everyone else in this thread do the same.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
208 0 100

This is Kara with the Shopify Support Team. Thanks for reaching out to us!

I have spoken with my support team and they have assured me that making the page title like this was a conscious choice. 

Product pages will show as "product", home will show as "home", etc. We stick with broad, as there are many other places to see the exact path of the url. Looking in Google's documentation, they even follow this method in their examples.

If you have further questions feel free to send them out to us! :)

Seems silly to me, but that was the answer. There's other ways to group in GA for product or catalogue pages with out needing for the title to be blank. IMHO, this is probably a bug or lazy "feature" from an inexperienced analytics dev.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
208 0 100

So one example where it makes reading reports more difficult is a new report from GA called "User Explorer" which shows individual user browsing history in GA.

Read more about that here:
http://marketingland.com/google-analytics-new-user-explorer-report-shows-individual-anonymized-websi...

As expected, it uses "Page Title" as primary reporting tool.

So with SHopify looks like this for pretty much all users:

• Visited: home
  • Visited: collection
  • Visited: product
  • Visitted: collection
  • Visited: product
  • Visited: Your Cart

What that looks like in GA:

As you can see, not "super useful"

There's work around for this, but at a glance, it's pretty poor.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Hi Jordan L,

My google analytics shows again the right page title since 1 days ago. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Trailblazer
208 0 100

I followed up with Shopify after their first response, and asked why this was specifically done.

Can you provide a reason for this change? I am losing information because of this, and this might also mess up others analytics who require page title.

Just like there's other ways to get exact URL, there's other ways to know if it's a category or product page, so I'm really curious what the reason is for this change and how it's going to help me with my analytics.

At which point i was made aware that, no, this was a fsck up. And they will fix it.

Hi there!

Andrew here from the Shopify Technical Support Team.

I've been working with Kara on the issue you encountered where the page title when enhanced ecommerce is enabled is showing as an abbreviated title, such as "product". I originally found evidence from our development team that this was an intentional change to align the data with examples from Google's docs, but found out yesterday that this was not the case. The issue was brought up with our development team and I'll be tracking progress on the resolution. If you have any questions or concerns in the meantime, don't hesitate to reach out.

Take care!

So YAY for complaining after original response. You always need to push tickets up to technically support (aka devs) if there's an actual problem and usually you need to complain a couple times to get passed original customer service gatekeeper, who's job it normally seems is to close the ticket with no action.

0 Likes