Move the "Login or Create an Account" link?

Excursionist
33 0 6

I just dealt with a confused customer who almost didn't buy something because she saw the "Login or Create an Account" prompt and thought it meant she had to sign in in order to shop on my store (where accounts are optional and most customers don't use them). While I'd like to keep the option for people to register, I sell vintage items and a lot of my customers are used to shopping on marketplace sites like eBay and Etsy where registration is mandatory, so I wonder if having that prompt is making other potential buyers think they have to jump through a registration hoop.

I'd like to (1) get rid of the prompt on most of the pages and only have it when the customer adds an item to her cart, and (2) change the prompt language so that it's phrased as an invitation, not as an instruction. Something like "Come here often? Create an account:" and "Have an account? Log in:"

Unfortunately, while I understand html pretty well, the scripty "liquid" templates just confuse me, so I don't know where the code for the things I want to change is (especially for that bar at the very top) or how to move it to where I want it to be.  Using Minimal theme.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
260 2 40

Hi Janet, 

Lisa here from the Social Care team at Shopify. This is a good observation about the  'Login or Create Account' as this is one of the first things your customer will see in your current layout. As you thought, this could be affecting the user experience

The good news is the 'Login or Create an Account' at the top of your page, can easily be removed via your language settings. The language settings will also allow you to edit the text anywhere else on your site too. I love your suggestion to add a personal brand voice such as "Come here often?". Check out this Podcast here, How a Unique Brand Voice Can Attract More Sales

To update the language settings on your site, go to Online Store > Current Theme > Actions (dropdown) > Edit LanguagesFrom here, you can type in the search bar 'Create an Account'. Under 'General / Account' press the space bar to remove the text. This process can be repeated for the 'Login' under 'General / Account'. See screenshot here:

Since you've removed this from the predominant header, you may want to add the login option back to your theme elsewhere. I suggest you add it to your footer menu. Accessible under Online Store > Navigation > Footer Menu. Press 'Add New Item', label one Create Account then paste the link: https://www.flotmich.com/account/register. Repeat the process for a new item labelled as Login, and paste the link https://www.flotmich.com/account/login. Remember to press 'Save Menu' in the bottom right-hand side for the changes to take effect. 

Alternatively, you can update your theme, learn how to do this here. It looks like you're using an older version of Minimal, which originally had the customer account details at the top left. The new version of the theme does not put as much emphasis on this login and allows you to easily update the announcement in the main bar. See screenshot below: 

The new Minimal theme also uses the updated 'Sectional Theme' editor where you can drag and drop elements on your homepage to achieve a more customized layout. Learn more about sectional themes here.

When you manually add an updated version of a theme, a second version of the theme is added to your online store. The new version is in its default state, with none of your customizations applied. The older version is unaffected by the update and still has any code customizations. Before you update your theme, it is recommended you create a backup and duplicate of your current theme. 

You sell beautiful pieces! With Christmas coming up, have you thought about adding a gift wrapping option? Here are some gift wrapping apps which would allow you to offer this add-on when customers are checking out. Also, you mentioned that a lot of your market is on eBay. If you haven't already, have you considered installing the eBay app via Shopify so you can sync all your inventory to help keep track of sales? Here's more information on the eBay sales channel.

- Lisa

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
33 0 6

Well, I FINALLY found how to reach and customize the new version of Minimal - it wasn't exactly "for dummies." It would be really nice if there were an easy way to port over the customizations I already had, such as social media share buttons on product pages. Apparently even though the theme was supposed to update automatically, it was too radical a change and I have to basically recreate my store from scratch and go back and forth looking up what code I had. (Social Media buttons are a case in point, and I still have to look up how to get share buttons back on my product pages. This is an important feature for me, since I'm organic-all-the-way.) It's not finding my nested main menu or my custom 404 page - though it did find the new custom Contact Us page I did yesterday to replace the third-party app I just dumped. Apparently I can't correct this stuff until I publish the theme - no way to run a website!

I still can't figure out how to change the "Log In or Create Account" links and add them to a different menu. Following your instructions gave me a rejection - do I have to recreate the login and create account as Pages? Because otherwise it won't let me add the link like the example you give. I might just give up and disable accounts altogether. Since I don't do newsletters or mail promotions - they're just too spammy for me - the only benefit to my customers would be the ability to save their payment and shipping information. In ten years of selling vintage jewelry, the vast majority of my sales have been one-offs. In three years of selling on Shopify, only one customer has ever signed up for an account... and I think she was a confused Etsian who thought she had to. Seriously, this is a lot of work for probably very little return.

I think you misread when I said my customers come from eBay. They might be used to shopping on eBay, but they don't find me there. I said goodbye and good riddance to eBay when I opened up here and haven't regretted it for a second.

0 Likes
Excursionist
33 0 6

Well, I figured out the 404 page and the nested menus. Still no luck on changing the create account stuff. It doesn't look like Minimal has a way to remove the entire thing from the top bar (getting rid of "Log In" and "Create Account" leaves an "or" hanging up there). Maybe I've just not found it in the Languages section yet; it took me long enough to find where it hid the text for my 404. Since I haven't published the new theme yet, I don't know if it'll give me a template for making actual Pages. The old version only gave templates for a generic Page and a contact Page.

0 Likes
Excursionist
33 0 6

Well, I got my pages created. ("For dummies" answer if anyone else is looking for this: create a new Page template and simply paste the "customers/register.liquid" code into the blank; repeat for "customers/login.liquid." Working on tweaking the language now.

That gets my new "brand voice" pages into the footer. Still working about getting rid of the top-bar language including that "OR."

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
260 2 40

Hi Janet, 

Glad you were able to update your site to the new template and figure out the page and language settings. Thanks for explaining to the forums community how you make it work in your situation. Each theme varies slightly in what is carried across when you update it. Usually, the new themes should have exactly the same pages built in i.e registration, sign in, and it may have been an error with connecting the old link. However, I tested your footer and it's great to see the method you used of creating a new page worked well for you. The customer accounts are more for tracking orders, whereas the email sign up which you have disabled is to generate your list of interested customers. They both collect emails, however, one the customer can log into their account to see orders, and the other is intended more for email marketing and incentivising new customers. 

Yes, I agree with you, while accounts can work for some business models where they have returning customers and want to allow customers to keep track of their own order history, they are not for everyone. It sounds like this model is not suited to your one of a kind brand where customers searching for unique pieces. I am curious though, is there something you'd like to try that you haven't yet to get more unique customers? Here's a success story on how one vintage jewellery store is utilizing bloggers and their own personal blog to grow their business.

That's good to hear the nested menus are also working for you now too. When you updated the theme you would have seen that you can now drag and drop your menu's to create tiers. Depending on your theme you can have up to 2 to 3 tiers, see screenshot here: 

Here's some additional information on working with the latest nested menus. 

As for the 'or' that you're unable to remove, I'd be happy to help you out by removing this for you. All themes developed by Shopify get 60 minutes free design time with them for tweaks like this that you can't quite figure out. I've sent you an email to confirm that you would like the 'or' removed, and we can do that for you! If there are any other design tweaks that you're considering as well, please reply with a screenshot in the email and I'll let you know if we can do that for you as well. 

- Lisa

0 Likes
Excursionist
33 0 6

Actually, I found the pesky "OR" and the rest of the links this morning: under the LAYOUT tab under languages! (Really not intuitive, that..) So the confusing links are gone and the new ones are up in my footer.

Now if I can just find out how to put a block of my own "brand voice" text on the new registration page in addition to the sign-up form... but that's for another day and maybe another week.. The Contact page was a built-in page in the Pages list, but the Register and Login pages weren't until I copied the code over and made page templates for them. I just figured it was the way the theme was written...

Loving the color customizations in the new version too. I'm very big on seasonality so plan to change the bar and accent colors from time to time... once I'm done with these tweaks and have a minute to plan color schemes.

Since I'm retired it's all "my own time" but I have to spend SOME of it doing housework and social-network marketing!

BTW, there might be some kind of a glitch on your end that you might want to alert your techies to... or maybe it's me. When you post I get multiple copies of the same notification in my email. Not serious,

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
260 2 40

That's great you were able to locate the language settings you needed to edit the site default text to your liking! Your site is looking very nice and clean now, the updates you've done colour refresh were a nice touch. 

The login/register pages are built into the theme, they just need to be accessed via a link, however, it sounds like you found another way that worked for you! For future reference, here's a screenshot of how to access the login/register pages if you would like to create a direct link from your menu: 

For the purpose of an example, I added them to my minimal theme's header (see screenshot here). 

I've sent you an email if you would like to reply with a screenshot of where you would like a text box on the registration page and sign up form. I can submit this to our design team for you if you do not want to add the text yourself, or if you would like different design elements in there.

Alternatively, you can enter text straight into the code so it will look like this (see screenshot here) on your registration page. To access this, go to customers/register.liquid. Click line 9 and type the message you'd like to include on your page. 

You can repeat this process for the login page (see screenshot here). To do this, go to customers/login.liquid. Around line 22 type your message: 

That's neat you're into making your site seasonal! Here are some fresh color scheme suggestions for your Shopify theme, from one of our theme developers Out of The Sand Box. 

Yes, social media marketing can be very powerful! A little does go a long way, here's a Social Media Marketing Strategy Guide

Thanks for letting me know about the notifications you're getting from the posts, I have passed this on to our forums team. 

Keep up the awesome work, Janet!

- Lisa

0 Likes
Excursionist
33 0 6

Done! Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
260 2 40

You are very welcome, Janet! 

- Lisa ?

0 Likes