Multilingual

Tourist
44 0 1

Hi, I would need to launch my Shopify website in two languages but I don´t want to use an translation app. I want to translate myself and have two pages for every content : one in french and the other in portuguese.  Is this at all possible?

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2118 128 271

Hi @Mathias_Meyer,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question!

The best way to accomplish what you are looking to do without a translation app would be to have two stores with two different admins. The reason for this is because while it would be possible to create multiple pages in different languages, the store will still have one native or home language which you would need to set. Because the store would have one native language your product pages would be in that language by default and to do what you are looking to do would probably require you to create the products twice, one for each language which isn't ideal. 

There is however a multi-store discount which was created for merchants who need additional stores that are set in a different language or currency than their primary store. This means that each additional store requires that the brand & products be identical to what is offered within the primary account. There are no official help documents about this so I will tell you more about it here. Something to note is that the "Primary Store" would have to be on the currently offered Shopify plan or higher and additional stores would be put on a custom plan. An example of a breakdown can look a bit like below:

1. Store A (Primary account) would be on our $79 or $299 plan.
  2. Every store thereafter would be on our $29 plan and would reap all the features of the plan that store A is subscribed to. (Ie reports, lower credit card/transaction fees, etc)

If you feel like you qualify for this and this is the route you would like to go down, then don't hesitate to let me know in a reply here and I can help you get that started. 

Other than having multiple stores, your next best option would be via a translation app from the Shopify app store which you don't seem very keen on. 

I hope this helps!

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
44 0 1
Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for your great answer, there are al least two problems
with the translation app from the Shopify app store

:
1. translations are not perfect and 2. I guess (but I am not sure) that the
translated contents are not ranked in Google... Am I wrong ?

Best,

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2118 128 271

My pleasure @Mathias_Meyer, hope it helped!

Can I ask if you are referring to a specific translation app from the app store regarding the translations not being perfect? I know with an app like Langify you would still need to do the translations yourself. 

24-31-or5ef-klt6c

Regarding your question about which language Google is ranking for content, which language did you verify your website within Google? From what I gather, Google won’t rank or crawl sites automatically, they simply have too much work to be doing, you would need to submit your own sitemap in the language of the store you would like Google to rank. You can see the guide Google has for verifying your site here

0 Likes
Tourist
44 0 1
Hi Nick,

I heard about Weglot and Langify that are very good but still not as good
as human traductions : I fear that my brazilian customers might think my
portuguese is not very good... do you understand ? My other concern is how
pages translated by this kind of app are ranking by Google? Have they their
own URL to be submited to Google ?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
2118 128 271

Ah ok, yes I understand what you mean with regards to the translation. You could look into hiring someone to help you translate the content in that sense? It might cost you something, but if this is something you want to make sure is correct, it could be worth it. There are some good translation services you can look into online, PeopleperHour is a good one as well as  UpWork

In terms of having to submit a separate sitemap for the different languages on your site. In this case, you would. The reason being is that a sitemap just “sees” what’s sent directly, it doesn’t “see” variables, like different languages. Because of that, it means the other language would need its own separate sitemap. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
12 0 4

Hi Mathias,

Eugene from the Weglot Translate App team here.

To answer your two questions:

- Weglot automatically index your translated pages on Google. We follow all Google guidelines in terms of multilingual SEO and you will have specific URLs for each page.

- Weglot provide a first layer of machine translation. It will help you or your translator to not start from scratch. You can then edit the translations yourself, invite a translator of your choice or order professional translations directly inside Weglot (It comes with an additional cost based on the order size).

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact our support team: support@weglot.com

Have a nice day!

Eugene

1 Like