Multiple Images vs. Selected Variant ?❗️

Tourist
17 0 1

I've implemented this solution by Shopify:
https://help.shopify.com/themes/customization/products/select-variants-by-clicking-images

However, it allows only for connecting single image per variant. I have more than 2 photos for the same Color variant. 

Let's say a Brown color is the default variant. When visitor click the second photo of a Black variant (that is not connected) then it's still displaying Brown variant as a selected option. So the photo does not match the selected variant.

Do you know how to fix that? 

(...maybe it's possible somehow with ALT attribute of the image?...)

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 0 11

Hi there!

Maggie here, Shopify Guru. :)

The Shopify platform only allows one image per variant, though we do have an app called Image Variant Penguin that would allow you to assign more than one image to a variant.

If I am misunderstanding the question, please don't hesitate to reach out to support, anytime!

0 Likes
Tourist
17 0 1

Hello Maggie,

I've seen this app Image Variant Penguin however it causes that it shows only thumbnails for specific variant selected in drop-down menu. I want to have all thumbnails under my main photo. Because ppl are more likely to check other variants by clicking images than by selecting colors in drop-down menu.

I just need those thumbnails to be linked for proper variant from the drop-down.

I've read somewhere that it's possible with a use of Alt attribute of image but there was no code.

Cheers!

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

I have a similar problem.  Seem shopify thinks that all customers shop via the drop down.  That they pick from the dropdown and then look over at the main image...  So they have programmed all themes so that when I change the dropdown to say "blue"... then the blue thumbnail moves to main image.

However, I feel that many, many people shop from the thumbnails first.  I look at the thumbnails... and pick the blue thumbnail to see it... and think... that's what I want... so click the add to cart... HOWEVER... the downdown didn't move with the thumbnail... it is still on whatever was the default first variant...

How can you get the thumbnails and dropdowns to move together?  I have talked to MULTIPLE gurus about this... and finally the designers fixed this for me... but did it in the Venture theme.  Then I was told to move to MINIMAL to get the correct zoom feature I wanted (which works great)... but now I'm back to square one with the goofy drop downs/thumbnails... and can't seem to find the original IT person to move the code.

I've looked to try and move myself, but no way.

Think this is similar...  this allows me to also have multiple thumbnails for a product (note... still can only have one thumbnail per variant)... but I can just add pics in there, as many as I want...  with the fix they did, if I had the blue thumbnail... and then a close up of the blue material, and a close up of the blue graphic... as long as they clicked on the thumbnail associated with the blue variant... it would stay there in the dropdown... even when they picked the close ups (sorry, probably doesn't make sense)...

Anyway, I have the old code, but can't make heads or tails out of it....

1 Like
Tourist
6 0 1

thanks...

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Snoopp... I have the code I can share where mine was "semi" fixed... at least the thumbnails and drop downs moved together... if I click on a blue shirt, the drop down changes to blue... and if I change the drop down to red... the thumbnail changes to red.

0 Likes
Tourist
19 0 2

@Snoopp wrote:

I've implemented this solution by Shopify:
https://help.shopify.com/themes/customization/products/select-variants-by-clicking-images

However, it allows only for connecting single image per variant. I have more than 2 photos for the same Color variant. 

Let's say a Brown color is the default variant. When visitor click the second photo of a Black variant (that is not connected) then it's still displaying Brown variant as a selected option. So the photo does not match the selected variant.

Do you know how to fix that? 

(...maybe it's possible somehow with ALT attribute of the image?...)

I have the same problem. Did you found any soulotion so far? 

1 Like
Shopify Partner
21 0 3

Any solutions on this?

1 Like