Solved

My Store Look Horrible On Desktop but good on Mobile

GingerArrow
Excursionist
20 0 4

Help!  I’m in the process of designing my store using the Simple Theme.  I love the layout when viewing it on the Mobile Website, but it looks horrendous on the Desktop Website (I hate the layout).  I’m so frustrated and have spent hours trying to fix it.  Are the layouts supposed to vary so greatly?  Can I fix this so the there is more consistency?  Any help would be appreciated.  

Accepted Solutions (2)
diego_ezfy
Shopify Partner
2934 562 883

This is an accepted solution.

No, the products remain the same.

◦ I can help you further! Top #4 Shopify Expert, 24h reply. Click here to hire me.
◦ Follow my blog & youtube for more free coding tips.
Download copy/paste code snippets that can replace most apps.

View solution in original post

Ryder
Shopify Staff (Retired)
450 56 90

Great question, @GingerArrow@diego_ezfy is correct, you upload your products separately into the Shopify Admin. You'll need to re-select the appropriate collections or products that you'd like on your Home Page in the layout you'd like them in; however, any products and collections created in the Admin will not be affected by switching themes.

Cheers.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 17 (17)

dmwwebartisan
Shopify Partner
12279 2546 3693

Hey @GingerArrow,

I don't know how it looks on desktop view but as per your statement will have to work on a desktop view for customization. So please share your website URL.

I will check and let you know.

Thanks!

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution | Email: dmw.webartisan@gmail.com |  Instagram: @dmw.webartisan
Check here PageFly App to customize your pages | #1 Product Filter & Search app on Shopify | The most powerful Shopify page builder app
GingerArrow
Excursionist
20 0 4

Hi!  Thank you!  It is GingerArrowBoutique@myshopify.com or gingerarrowboutique.com and the PW is Poppy.  I really appreciate it!

diego_ezfy
Shopify Partner
2934 562 883

No problems.

What exactly do you want fixed?

◦ I can help you further! Top #4 Shopify Expert, 24h reply. Click here to hire me.

GingerArrow
Excursionist
20 0 4

I would ideally like for the desktop view to have the symmetry that the mobile view has.  Maybe it is just me, but I do not like that everything is aligned to the left on the desktop view......I would prefer it be aligned to the center.  Thanks in advance!

GingerArrow
Excursionist
20 0 4

Hi!  Thank you so much.  It is gingerarrowboutique.com and the PW to enter is poppy 

diego_ezfy
Shopify Partner
2934 562 883

Hello,

Thank you for your question. 

Please share your store URL, page URL and also password (if your store has one), I'll help you out to the best of my ability.

Also please be specific regarding what you'd like to change on the desktop view; your request it's fairly broad and subjective as the way it is right now.

Kind regards,
Diego

Ryder
Shopify Staff (Retired)
450 56 90

Hey there, @GingerArrow!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! I'd be happy to see what I can suggest for designing your shop's theme, to look the way you want it. Since you haven't shared your shop's URL, I'll be providing some general information. If you've already published your theme, and removed the password protection page, feel free to share your shop URL and I'd be happy to offer some specific feedback. Alternatively, you can let me know a little more about what features you were hoping for in a theme, and I can see what themes I can suggest for you.

Before picking a theme, you'll want to consider your branding, and the type of experience you want your customer to have. For this, you'll need to have a strong sense of who your target market is. You can create a Buyer Persona and read through this guide for some great questions and tips to consider beforehand.

We currently have 9 free Shopify-developed themes in our Theme Store. Have you taken a peek at all of their demos? This may help you take a look at which theme layout you'd like for your shop. Here, you'll be able to view the themes' layouts on both desktop:

and mobile versions:

You'll also be able to toggle between the two view options from within the demo:

If you haven't already picked out a color palette, I recommend checking out a few of Color Palette Generators. I've personally used Coolors when designing my store. I'd also suggest checking out our free 'How to Design Your Online Store (With Zero Design Experience)' course in Shopify Compass. Not only will it help you build your brand identity, but you'll also cover how to pick the right theme for your business in the third section.

Please keep in mind, if you use a Shopify-developed free theme, you may be eligible for 60 minutes of theme customizaitons and support. If you end up choosing at third-party paid theme, the theme's developer will be your best point of contact for any theme-related questions. You can also hire an Expert for any un-supported customizations. What kind of products are you selling on your store? Do you already have a brand vision established? Are there any specific features you're looking for in a theme?

After you've finished designing your shop, don't miss out on posting in the Feedback On My Store section of our Community Forums for some constructive criticism.

Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify! Hope this helps.

Cheers.

GingerArrow
Excursionist
20 0 4

Hi!  Thanks for your reply.  I’m not very tech savvy, so I appreciate any input!  My url is gingerarrowboutique.com and the PW to enter is Poppy.  My site is not live yet.  I like the symmetry and layout of the mobile view and would like for the desktop view to have the same alignment.  I chose the simple theme bc I liked the layout. I’m not sure if this is possible but thought I’d inquire before I got through the process of changing my theme.  

Ryder
Shopify Staff (Retired)
450 56 90

Hi, @GingerArrow!

Regrettably, this won't be possible as you'd be looking to change the structure of the theme itself. You can see that this is expected behaviour by checking out the Simple Theme's demo:

20-08-r39dv-aqgrv

It sounds like you want a menu at the top, and your collections and products to be centered, is that right? The Shopify-developed free themes that appear to be closest to what I'm understanding you're looking for are: Debut, Venture, Brooklyn, Supply, and Minimal. What do you think of these options?

Cheers.

GingerArrow
Excursionist
20 0 4

Oh, I see....it makes sense though.  I originally started with the Debut theme.  I should have stuck with my first choice.  If I do change themes, do I have to re-enter all of my product information and so on?  

diego_ezfy
Shopify Partner
2934 562 883

No, the products remain the same.

GingerArrow
Excursionist
20 0 4

Cool.....I’m going to look into the other themes then!  Thanks!

Ryder
Shopify Staff (Retired)
450 56 90

Great question, @GingerArrow@diego_ezfy is correct, you upload your products separately into the Shopify Admin. You'll need to re-select the appropriate collections or products that you'd like on your Home Page in the layout you'd like them in; however, any products and collections created in the Admin will not be affected by switching themes.

Cheers.

GingerArrow
Excursionist
20 0 4

Thanks!  You guys are awesome!  

diego_ezfy
Shopify Partner
2934 562 883

You're welcome! Wishing you a great day.

Ryder
Shopify Staff (Retired)
450 56 90

Happy to help! Don't forget to post in the Feedback On My Store section when you're finished designing for some additional feedback. Take care for now.

Cheers.

slatecharger
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi!

Can I get help with this same issue?

My initial photo when going onto the site looks amazing on Mobile but way too zoomed in on Desktop. Please advise how to fix this?

slatecharger.com

https://its-espresso.myshopify.com/