Need a theme for fashion that allows multiple variations on a product page

Tourist
7 0 1

I am creating a store with Print on Demand products.  A product might have several color variants, but each variant is a different print file.  It is not like a T Shirt business, where the same print file is applied to different color shirts.  The color variations are in the print file itself, so it is actually like adding different products to the same page.  But I want the customer to be able to select the color variant they want easily and then the choice is relayed to the POD vendor who can print the correct garment.  Is there a theme that allows this?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
723 40 103

Hi, @kreed01!

Katy here from Shopify support. I hope all is well with you and welcome to our community!

It's great to hear that you are getting started out, and hopefully I can help to point you in the right direction.

Choosing a theme can be difficult, but we do have a guide here to help you in this process.   While I'm not aware of a specific theme that has this exact functionality regarding variant options, it is definitely something that you can achieve with the help of apps!

To best help with this, there are a couple of questions which I would like you to consider:

• Do you have a supplier in mind, or are you also looking to source this for your business?
  • Do you have an example of a product or an example of how this variant set up might look?
  • Is there a reason you would not like to split the items up into different products?

If you would like to keep all options together, linked to one product page, one way of doing so could be to create a variant option called 'Style' for example, and then add the different style variant which you describe. Alternatively there are quite a few apps available in our Shopify App store which allow you to add additional options to your products. Many are rated highly and you can find them via this link here.

Regarding the service you plan to use to print you items, if you do have your own supplier, there is the option to send a notification to them as soon as an order has been placed. This is set up via the admin using custom fulfilment. We have a specific guide on this here

If not, there are some options which you may like to have a look at here.

I hope this helps you out - do feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
25 1 5

I am having a similar problem. The interesting thing is that the problem I am having is so basic to a clothing store that I am surprised that I cant get it solved.

Say I have a dress that has 10 different prints (not colors),  It is the same dress and the customer can pick the print they like best. 1st problem is that my customers naturally dont click in the add to box, they click on the photo of the variant they like. This should automatically prepare my add to cart selection but shifting the selected "color" option to the correct print. If it does not and my customer just adds to cart they have selected whatever the default color button was selected. They did not in fact change the selection in the cart to match the image of the print they like. The second problem is displaying the print selections in the cart selection area. I get that the default is to use colors and that I can change the word "Color" to "Print" but it does not show anything except blank dots. I am using a paid for theme that cost me $140 before I realized this problem existed. It is such a basic need for online clothing stores that - again I say I am surprised when they tell me I have to pay for that functionality to be added.  If I cant find a theme that solves this problem I am not sure what to do. -joro

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
723 40 103

Hi, @joroman2k !

Thanks for joining in here, and I hope you are well.

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with getting the correct functionality that you would like for your store. From what I understand, you have a product e.g  a dress with different prints. This is also available in different colors, but not all prints are available in each color. Is this correct?

In this case, you are correct in that you can use the variant option called 'print' in place of 'color', or you can use both print and color and only assign values where they exist in your store. E.g if you sell 'leopard' prints this could be available in yellow, orange and black, while a 'zebra' print for example could be available in black only. For example.

06-01-9ii4a-8craq

Or you could use both color and print as variant options. For example:

06-06-k0rq8-delln

For the latter, you could adjust the text which would then appear as 'sold out' to something else, where color options are not available for a particular print.

Depending on how you choose to arrange your variants, you could also perhaps combine this with color swatches.  This may indeed work for you instead. 

In terms of selecting a variant, there is a way to have this change in the drop-down selector by clicking on the associated  variant image. While some paid themes may have this feature built-in by default, if not there is a guide to help with this. If not compatible with your current theme, your theme developer may be able to help provide an alternative work around. 

In terms of the variants not being added correctly to your cart, it sounds like a variant image is not being pulled through correctly. Do you have an example of the 'blank dots' that you can share here? While third party themes would be supported by the theme developer rather than our own staff, if you could provide a link or example perhaps our community members here can help to point you in the right direction.

I know you have already purchased your theme, and indeed there still are lots of options to customize paid themes after purchase. I would however like to encourage users to avail of the theme preview function, or to touch base with our support team/ the theme developer if you have any questions at all prior to committing to purchase. 

I hope this helps, do feel free to let me know.

Cheers,
Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
25 1 5
Great info Katy. Thanks. I will be digesting it all and try to provide
examples. I did learn a little bit more that I am glad to share with all
the other users as well.

Standby.

Joro
0 Likes