Need customers to be able to enter discount code on draft order invoices

stacie
Tourist
3 0 5

Does anyone know what exactly I need to do so that when we send draft orders to customers, they can enter their own discount codes?

It's imperative we have this option for our brand ambassador program that is launching soon.

Thanks!

Stacie

Replies 16 (16)

Red_Cap_Tom
Shopify Partner
160 4 61

Hey @stacie,

Just to make sure I follow - you've tried creating a draft order in the following screen:

image.png

And then when the invoice arrives at the customer's email:

image.png

You'd like then to be able to add some discount code. I've just added the link to the discount when I send then the notification, and then it shows up clearly in the email and they can use the code.

This is just a dev store, so no payment gateway == I cannot properly test it right now, but that should work. 

If you're still stuck just @ mention me here and I'll take a closer look.

banned
stacie
Tourist
3 0 5

@Red_Cap_Tom 

We won't know if the customer will even have one. I just need them to be able to enter one just like they are able to when they are checking out from our website. 

Red_Cap_Tom
Shopify Partner
160 4 61

@stacie OK, so just to be perfectly clear about it - Shopify does not support allowing the customer to insert a discount into a checkout page page right now - see the link or the highlighted comment below:
https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/create-orders#set-item-or-order-discounts

image.png

Since this is not supported,  I initially thought about cart attributes - see here: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/cart/get-more-information-with-cart-attributes?utm_... - but that will only help if they actually move through their cart before coming to the checkout (which they do not on the draft invoice flow you're looking for). Same goes for order notes and line order items, I think. 

I think the reason this is not supported is because it's a feature for Shopify Plus - https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/development/layouts/checkout - where merchants in that tier can then edit this page directly, basically creating the flow of applying the discount code by hand.

I see two ways going forward: If you have Shopify Plus, then we can investigate further on how to customize your specific page so the order is discounted (if that's possible without your intervention on the backend, which I'm not sure it is). If you don't have Shopify Plus, then i would suggest asking the customer to leave the discount code in the order notes and re-imbursing him for the cost later (or some arrangement of this type).

If anyone has a better solution, I'd be really interested in hearing it. Sorry @stacie for not being able to help better!

banned
stacie
Tourist
3 0 5
@Red_Cap_Tom thank you for trying to help!
At least now I know Shopify doesn’t allow it.
Red_Cap_Tom
Shopify Partner
160 4 61

Sure, no worries.

If you are a Shopify Plus merchant and would like to do some workaround there, ping me and I'll see what I can do.

banned
Cofink
Visitor
1 0 2

I need to enter a discount code to an order that i have set up inside of shopify. I can apply a discount but not a discount code.  when i do this i cant run any of the reports for discounts by discount codes.

BBQ4All
Visitor
1 0 1

Same exact issue. We need to allow customers to use discount codes in draft orders sent as invoices.
Shopify, when is this issue going to be addressed?

soulchild37
Shopify Partner
163 9 46

Hi stacie and other store owners,

I have made an app that allows customer to input discount code at the checkout from draft order!

The default checkout from the "send invoice" button does not allow customer to input discount code,

but with this app, you can create a separate checkout from the draft order, and you can set a discount code on the checkout, or let customer to input it on the checkout.

You can then send the link of this checkout to your customer.

You can install the app (Draft Helper) here : https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper , there's a free plan which you can try it out.

After installing the app, go to your draft order, click "More actions" on top right > "Generate discountable checkout link"

generate checkout with discount codegenerate checkout with discount code

Hope this can help

Regards,

Axel

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog
HFXVinyl
Tourist
5 0 7

Adding our name to the list of people who need this as a standard feature!

gorodezkiy
Shopify Expert
6 0 19

+1 We need this feature too

Parrat966
Tourist
3 0 4

I'm a merchant using a virtual product options app (I have to use this app because Shopify cannot support the number of variant options for many of my products) those apps all use draft orders in order to be able to virtually add the options to a customer's order. However, this is causing customers with virtual options added to not be able to insert discount codes at the time of checkout. 

This inability to not enter discount codes at checkout with virtual options/draft orders is hurting my conversion rate. @Shopify we need a fix for this ASAP, please! It is turning away customers. 

deborah007
Tourist
4 0 4

Same exact issue. Shopify, when is this issue going to be addressed?

DDemper
Tourist
5 0 2

+1, This should be a standard feature, no reason whatsoever why it should not be there.

Bill6
Shopify Partner
47 0 17

We manage 11 Shopify sites all on Shopify Plus and need this on all.  If there is a way to make the draft order invoice support entering Discount codes in Shopify Plus accounts, please explain.

soulchild37
Shopify Partner
163 9 46

Hi @Bill6 ,

If you are sending draft order invoice to customer manually, and open to using a workaround using an app, I think my app can help.

The default checkout page from the "send invoice" button does not allow customer to input discount code, my app workaround this by creating a separate checkout from the draft order, and you can set a discount code on the checkout, or let customer to input it on the checkout.

You can then send the link of this checkout to your customer.

You can install the app (Draft Helper) here : https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper , there's a free plan which you can try it out.

After installing the app, go to your draft order, click "More actions" on top right > "Generate discountable checkout link" ,
discount code on separate checkout pagediscount code on separate checkout page

Hope this can help.

Regards,

Axel Kee

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog
Bill6
Shopify Partner
47 0 17

Axel - Any chance you can explain how your app is using the Shopify API to do this?  Thanks