Need customers to be able to enter discount code on draft order invoices

3 0 0

Does anyone know what exactly I need to do so that when we send draft orders to customers, they can enter their own discount codes?

It's imperative we have this option for our brand ambassador program that is launching soon.

Thanks!

Stacie

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
97 4 32

Hey @stacie,

Just to make sure I follow - you've tried creating a draft order in the following screen:

image.png

And then when the invoice arrives at the customer's email:

image.png

You'd like then to be able to add some discount code. I've just added the link to the discount when I send then the notification, and then it shows up clearly in the email and they can use the code.

This is just a dev store, so no payment gateway == I cannot properly test it right now, but that should work. 

If you're still stuck just @ mention me here and I'll take a closer look.

Building custom, public-facing Shopify Apps for various niches. Ping me with your app ideas!

My Apps:
* Countries We Ship To Button (Free!) - Show your customers where you ship to with a crisp button + pop-up!

My Tutorials:
* Get Notified When New Comments Are Added To Your Shopify Blog (Free!) - A quick & easy tutorial to set up a free web-service that e-mails you when you get a new comment on your Shopify blog!
0 Likes
3 0 0

@KidOnPoint 

We won't know if the customer will even have one. I just need them to be able to enter one just like they are able to when they are checking out from our website. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
97 4 32

@stacie OK, so just to be perfectly clear about it - Shopify does not support allowing the customer to insert a discount into a checkout page page right now - see the link or the highlighted comment below:
https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/create-orders#set-item-or-order-discounts

image.png

Since this is not supported,  I initially thought about cart attributes - see here: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/cart/get-more-information-with-cart-attributes?utm_... - but that will only help if they actually move through their cart before coming to the checkout (which they do not on the draft invoice flow you're looking for). Same goes for order notes and line order items, I think. 

I think the reason this is not supported is because it's a feature for Shopify Plus - https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/development/layouts/checkout - where merchants in that tier can then edit this page directly, basically creating the flow of applying the discount code by hand.

I see two ways going forward: If you have Shopify Plus, then we can investigate further on how to customize your specific page so the order is discounted (if that's possible without your intervention on the backend, which I'm not sure it is). If you don't have Shopify Plus, then i would suggest asking the customer to leave the discount code in the order notes and re-imbursing him for the cost later (or some arrangement of this type).

If anyone has a better solution, I'd be really interested in hearing it. Sorry @stacie for not being able to help better!

Building custom, public-facing Shopify Apps for various niches. Ping me with your app ideas!

My Apps:
* Countries We Ship To Button (Free!) - Show your customers where you ship to with a crisp button + pop-up!

My Tutorials:
* Get Notified When New Comments Are Added To Your Shopify Blog (Free!) - A quick & easy tutorial to set up a free web-service that e-mails you when you get a new comment on your Shopify blog!
0 Likes
3 0 0
@KidOnPoint thank you for trying to help!
At least now I know Shopify doesn’t allow it.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
97 4 32

Sure, no worries.

If you are a Shopify Plus merchant and would like to do some workaround there, ping me and I'll see what I can do.

My Apps:

My Tutorials:
0 Likes