Nesting Menus

Solved
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi, I am using the debut theme - I am trying to do nesting menus - the first level works fine the second level just lists the menu items? I don't know what I am doing wrong here? I have checked your videos etc.... I don't want to use the search by tags as we want to put a few tags on each item & this will make the menus messy hence why I want a second tier (I hope this makes sense) maybe you can check out my webpage to see what I am flapping on about (i do have tags as being shown until I get this sorted)

https://autopartsandbatteries.com.au

Your assistance is appreciated

Cheers Caroline

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
726 45 87

Hi there @Caroline_Stirli!

Don here from Shopify. :)

Thanks for that link to your store!

It looks like within your main menu that you've currently got a drop-down nested under the Online store menu item and nested within that is another menu item for Accessories, which itself leads to the individual accessory types.

The rest of the items are then a part of the Online store menu but are not nested under another heading (as the accessories are):

_20-02-8qcht-qu7j8

Are you looking to nest these items under another heading, or to have them be headings under which you would then nest further items?

If you can let us know what you would like to be able to do with this, we can give some specific instructions so you can put it in place.

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Yes I haven't done the other menus as yet as I don't like the way that the Accessories menu (dropdown menus work) it is just listed I wanted the categories to be a drop down also? does this make sense to you?  all of the categories under accessories I want to be a drop down in the Accessories menu - I haven't done anything further on the other menus as yet until I sort what I am doing wrong 

Cheers

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

I have decided to go back to how I had it however if someone does have a reason as to why the nesting on the third tier didn't work properly (no dropdown just listed) it would be appreciated if you could please advise 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
726 45 87

Hi again @Caroline_Stirli!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

It sounds like you want those menu items which were nested under Accessories to themselves have drop-down menus nested underneath them, is that the case?

If so, you would just need to create another level of nesting underneath those items to link whatever you want there.

For your example, you might wish to have Car Care drop down under Accessories and then have further items listed underneath Care Care, so you would need to tell the platform that you want another menu item nested under Car Care.

To do this, you can select 'Add menu item to Car Care', add the collection link or whatever you want to have listed there and you can just drag and drop this to place it underneath (and slightly to the right of) Car Care so that it will drop down from there.

Check out my example from my test store to see how you can grab and move menu items like this:

_20-02-9ncg6-ruufs

You can see how two menu items on the same level look here:

_20-02-nbbc0-rdqs5

And you can observe how menu items that are nested within each other look here:

_20-02-b5pwt-k966i

See if you can reproduce this for yourself in your admin and if not, just let us know and we can provide further direction here.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Thank you again Don however when I do it, it wont drop down only list - I have the drop down on the online menu - that works fine yet when I try to do that on menus within the Online Dropdown menu (the way you showed) it just lists? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 10.48.18.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-22 at 10.48.28.png

@Caroline_Stirli wrote:

Thank you again Don however when I do it, it wont drop down only list - I have the drop down on the online menu - that works fine yet when I try to do that on menus within the Online Dropdown menu (the way you showed) it just lists? 

If you see the attached - I believe that I am doing it correctly it just isn't displaying correctly :/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Me again :/ - I just found a video with someone showing the debut theme using 3 levels - it looked the same as mine so I think it is supposed to be like that :/ as I have a large menu breakdown I will have to find another theme that will suit our store better

Thank you for your time :)

@Caroline_Stirli wrote:

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 10.48.18.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-22 at 10.48.28.png

@Caroline_Stirli wrote:

If you see the attached - I believe that I am doing it correctly it just isn't displaying correctly :/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
726 45 87

Hi again @Caroline_Stirli!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

It's a bit tricky to go through troubleshooting for issues like this via our forums, so if you would like to get us to check this out with you in some depth, I'd advise you to try initiating a phone call or a live chat from our support site.

It will be easier for us to be able to see what you are working on in real-time to ensure we understand what you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it.

If you would prefer not to, we can still provide info and advice from here on other topics; though as above, it would be harder for us to troubleshoot certain issues due to the nature of providing support via a forum.

Let us know whenever you need us in any case, Caroline!

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Thanks Don - I will contact via chat in the next few days 

Cheers :)

1 Like