New to Shopify - Sections Architecture vs Theme Templates - Where to start

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi.

Firstly, I apologise for my newbie questions. I'm a developer on other platforms, but completely new to Shopify.

Reading through the documentation, I see a new 'Sections Architecture' is in beta. From what I understand, this will be the 'new' way to build themes?

I have created a developer preview account and created a store. I have downloaded the 'Debut' default theme to look over the code. In the file structure, does the 'sections' folder relate to 'Sections Architecture'?

I have also installed 'Themekit' and created a new theme, so I can look at beginning to code a test theme. In this I see that the 'Sections' folder I see in the default 'Debut' theme is missing. Is this because 'Sections Architecture' isn't included as standard?

Any guidance on if I am heading in the right direction and any tips on where I should go next, would be really appreciated. The documentation seems to be sound, but if anyone recommends any other resources, that would also be great.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 7

I'm also very much looking forward to the new Section Theme Architecture that will be released in 2020.

Seems like a very radical change. For example this tweet shows they even stopped support for the Slate toolkit because of the new architecture arriving soon.

https://twitter.com/wtp_nagoya/status/1271786964161662977

Would really help if we knew any kind of date of the launch. We tend to postpone any further work on our site until this arrives.

0 Likes