Non-Working Slideshow Feature (Simple Theme)

5 0 0

Hi,

After spending a considerable amount of time on such an easy task, I finally wanted to write here with all my anger and frustration as I believe nobody has the right to cause such time loss for no one else and that the cost of using a free theme must not be also this.

As a Simple theme user, I wanted to use the slideshow feature on my homepage to provide a richer visual experience as the theme itself is already too much simple as its name. First of all, there is just a slide height leveler in the settings of the slideshow that's set to 470 px by default. There is no leveler about the width which is a basic but at the same time crucial information that's missing. When you search about that in the official help center, the only information you find is "The recommended size for slideshow images is 1280 x 460 px." Any way you size your images by the recommended way, upload it to the slideshow but you see that the image doesn't fit well on the slide. The only way to make it fit is to adjust the slide height that should be already up to the choice of the website owner as it's directly about how big the slideshow should be seen on the homepage. I tried so many sizes by hoping that I might find the correct fitting one at least by "coincidence" but it didn't work and I've now totally given up as I don't want to lose more time with such idiotic thing in my life. This is just the "desktop experience", I don't want to mention how the slideshow seems in mobile as the things are even worse. The theme is not responsive and even if you manage to set the slideshow correctly on desktop, it doesn't work correctly on mobile. 

Why do you put features on your themes if they don't/won't function correctly? Why do you cause your members to lose that much time in such simple settings that will have a direct effect on their conversions by another word business? Is this a way of punishing your members for using free themes instead of paid themes? 

Seriously a huge frustration... I hope you won't come and respond to this by addressing me to a 3rd party developer as you generally do as a part of your business model. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
616 31 68

Hi there @Soykan!

Don here from Shopify. :)

How your theme's slideshow will behave with regards to images will depend on the theme you are using and how its slideshow has been coded.

If your theme does not have a responsive slideshow, you can check out our best practices for slideshows and full-width images to learn how best to handle this.

If you can't find a way to make this work to your approval, you can still consider using other free themes like Pop or Supply.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey I have the same problem I tried all techniques possible for image resizing no results the slideshow resizes its images automatically how can we use produt images if its almost impossible to resize them due to streching problem and bad resolution for example I have 1500x1500 or 1000x1000 image when I try resize it for the required size for Simple theme that I am using it goes blurry... and it cuts either on the mobile show homepage or on the desktop.
Is there a way to code the slideshow to be automatic for size picking mobile and desktop ,,, my store is www.scit5.com

Please if there is something I can do to paste a code somewhere or you to fix it tell me .Thx

@Don wrote:

Hi there @Soykan!

Don here from Shopify. :)

How your theme's slideshow will behave with regards to images will depend on the theme you are using and how its slideshow has been coded.

If your theme does not have a responsive slideshow, you can check out our best practices for slideshows and full-width images to learn how best to handle this.

If you can't find a way to make this work to your approval, you can still consider using other free themes like Pop or Supply.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
616 31 68

Hi there @Dimeb!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

In addition to the info I have already provided above, I can let you know that the recommended image size for use in the slideshow of the Simple theme is 1280 x 460 px.

You can see this and other info about this theme in the manual for the Simple theme on our help site. 

Try to source images that are the correct shape and size to add here and keep in mind the best practices for working with such images linked in my earlier reply.

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes