Can I remove the Shopify admin navigation bar from my website?

Sports365
Visitor
3 0 0

Question... From my Desk Top, when I do a Google search, and find my website, then I get on my own website, at the bottom there is a gray bar that says Navigate to Admin... you can click on it or you can click the X.  When you click the X, then the Shopify logo stays on your website in the lower right hand corner and if you click on it, it takes you to my Shopify Admin... how can I make this disappear?  I don't want this gray bar to appear when I go to my own website from my desk top.  Is there a setting, so this gray bar does not show up on the bottom of my website when I visit my own website?  Thanks. 

Replies 12 (12)

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Sports365

Rae from Shopify here. Thank you for reaching out about this! 

This gray bar appears for any merchant who is viewing their own site from a browser where they're also logged in to their Shopify admin. However, it's important to mention this bar is visible to the store owner only, and it won't show up for customers who are also viewing your site. 

I understand that there are some instances where you may not want to see this bar though, so I recommend trying out these workarounds to ensure the bar doesn't appear: 

• Logging out of your Shopify admin on your browser before viewing your live site 
  • Accessing your site from a different supported browser where you aren't logged in
  • Using Chrome Incognito mode
  • Visiting your store through the theme editor by clicking 'Online store > Themes' in your Shopify admin, and then clicking 'Customize' on your current theme

Please give these options a try and keep me posted on how they work for you. 

In the meantime, if there's a specific reason why you don't want to see this gray bar, please let me know and I'll be happy to share your feedback with our team directly. 

Thanks! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

dmgscy_kelly
Tourist
3 0 4

Hi Rae,

I've somehow managed to lose my gray bar and can't figure out how to get it back! Please can you help? 

Thanks,

Kelly

Ofek
Excursionist
34 0 4

Hi RAE

I tried this, and it's still showing it didn't for a while but I was checking out the customization and know it is. What should I do?

Ketiabell
Shopify Partner
11 0 4

I have the same gray bar and it was not there before. I want it gone. Can someone please help on what to do step by step. How did it get there when It wasnt there before

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Ketiabell

I recommend taking a look over my original reply in this thread for some more information on why this bar is appearing. In particular, this part of my post offers more details: 

This gray bar appears for any merchant who is viewing their own site from a browser where they're also logged in to their Shopify admin. However, it's important to mention this bar is visible to the store owner only, and it won't show up for customers who are also viewing your site. 

In my above reply, I also outlined a few different workarounds that can help remove this bar, such as: 

• Logging out of your Shopify admin on your browser before viewing your live site
  • Accessing your site from a different supported browser where you aren't logged in
  • Using Chrome Incognito mode
  • Visiting your store through the theme editor by clicking 'Online store > Themes' in your Shopify admin, and then clicking 'Customize' on your current theme

Please let me know how these options work for you, and if you have any additional questions. 

Ketiabell
Shopify Partner
11 0 4

Thank you 

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Ketiabell

You're welcome! I'm glad I was able to help out. 

tomszekeres
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hey Rae - I've got the opposite problem!

I'm logged in to admin on both Firefox and Safari on my new MacBook, but the grey bar isn't showing up like it was before on my old machine.

Any way of ensuring it appears?

Co-founder & CEO, Subship
dmgscy_kelly
Tourist
3 0 4

Hi Tom,

Same! I miss the bar, did you figure it out?

tomszekeres
Shopify Partner
4 0 0
I didn’t, but maybe someone else could help us or, really miss this?
Co-founder & CEO, Subship
dmgscy_kelly
Tourist
3 0 4

I found how to turn the admin bar back on! Click the little eye next to Online Store where it's listed under sales channels on the main page when you log in to Shopify

APG-David
Explorer
62 4 20

Nice work Dmgscy_kelly. I was annoyed with that bar at first.. then came to really appreciate the convenience that it provided. Glad to have that bar back now.