Online Grocery Store - select city or area drop down on homepage

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

I have a grocery delivery website and I want a home page which has a drop down to choose city/area. 

Based on that it would show them store options in that area. 

Once they click on the specific store, it would show them the products available in that store. 

Is something like this possible using shopify? 

0 Likes

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
435 47 96

Hey, @MoazMohammed 

The easiest and cheapest way to do this would be to actually utilize the collections feature in Shopify. Collections are used to organize products within them. Common examples of a collection could be called 'T Shirts', 'Jeans', 'Sweaters', 'Shoes', etc.

In your case, you can create collections but name them based on the cities/areas that you provide delivery to. So what you could do is create multiple city collections and then assign specific products and collections to them. From there, you can add these collections in a 'Collection List' section within your theme editor to display these service areas at the top of your homepage.

You can even customize your shipping costs by area this way. Within your shipping settings, you have the ability to configure shipping zones for specific collections and assign shipping rates for them. In your case, it would be the cost for the areas that you service your delivery to.

Let me know if that helps. If you have any other questions at all, I'd be happy to help.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Thanks @Dirk, the collection idea is brilliant! Now the only thing is that there are a number of different areas (30+) and the city is not organized so clearly. So I'm ending up with like 30+ little boxes showing up on my current theme (Simple). 

I was wondering is there a way to get a drop down with the collections on the home page, but not on the menu, like on the page itself in the middle right at the beginning area. So from the home page they can select delivery location - drop down menu - with list of all locations (collections). 

Is something like that possible? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
435 47 96

This is an accepted solution.

That's a great question! I'm sure it would be possible by adding some custom coding into your theme in order to accomplish what you are looking for. I would recommend checking out our Shopify experts directory where you can find a developer who would be able to create a custom solution for you.

With that said, you would still have a long drop-down menu that can not be the easiest to sift through. Personally, I am a fan of tiled images which is why I would recommend my above workaround. I created a video recording here to show you a way to show your 30+ delivery areas in an organized manner. As you'll see, I'm adding collection lists and changing the collections per row to 5 and using a single collection list title for the first section I add. This creates a uniform looking section that is quite clean looking. Alternatively, you could add a title for each section that you add and use an alphabetical title such as A-D, E-H, I-L, M-P, Q-V, W-Z.

Once you do that, you could create a slideshow banner at the top of your page with a call to action to prompt customers to "click here" to view the delivery area, something like this. So when they click on the button they will be taken to your all collections page. Which is a page that lists all of your delivery areas.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Warmly,

Dirk | Social Care Guru Team

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Thanks Dirk, did that and it works beautifully! 

My next concern is that if customers select Store 1 from homepage and start adding items to cart, but then go back to homepage or go to search bar and add items to cart from Store 2 also.

So now they have items from both Store 1 and Store 2. Is there any rules for adding items to cart that I can add to avoid this from happening? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi @Dirk,

Sorry for this late message but I was looking at this thread and was also curious on the delivery system.

Do you know of good plug-ins that can assign delivery drivers to the customer's order and have them go to the stores and get the items?

Cheers.

0 Likes