Online Store 2.0 Release Date?

Ceri-Waters
Shopify Partner
90 4 22

Hiya,

So I know that developers like myself can access the Online Store 2.0 features via a developer preview store, however do we actually have any official dates as to when these features will roll out to current stores? There was lots of features raised in Unite but no dates as when they'll likely be available. It has been mentioned that all stores will need to upgrade their themes to 2.0 by the end of the year but otherwise nothing.

If the Netflix Shop is using Online Store 2.0 I would have thought it's basically ready?

Thanks in advance,

Ceri.

iameddie
1 0 0

I am also very curious on this. So far its only on newly created dev-stores as far as I understand.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere when this will be available on live stores, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eddie.

0 Likes
Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
256 58 53

Hi @Ceri-Waters 

Thanks for sharing your question here! While developers and code savvy merchant can follow the guides in our Developer docs to convert their theme file to support the new 2.0 features, our new 2.0 theme is not live yet. 

So a merchant can convert their existing theme if they wanted to, but we are still awaiting the official launch of our new Dawn theme which uses the 2.0 theme structure to power it. The launch of the Dawn theme will be announced soon and you can also check for this new theme update in our changelog here: Shopify Changelog. 

The wait for this new theme should not be long though! I know our developers and merchants have been waiting some time to see this feature fully rolled out!

Thanks!

-Shay

Shay | Support Advisor @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Mano-Mylv
Tourist
3 0 3

Many thanks @Shay for the update!

I mean, we can sort of join the dots, with the Theme Store being open for new OS2.0 submissions on 15 July, it surely can't be too long before those submissions – and Dawn – can actually be used on stores...

Am interested by what @Ceri-Waters mentioned, about "all stores will need to upgrade their themes to 2.0 by the end of the year". I haven't heard that... Is that the official line? Is there actually a date when the v1.0 themes will be deprecated? Can you clarify @Shay?

Six months seems like a short amount of time to migrate all stores over...

0 Likes
Ceri-Waters
Shopify Partner
90 4 22

@Mano-Mylvplease see https://www.shopify.co.uk/partners/blog/shopify-online-store section 7, it states that they need to be migrated by EOP this year.

Mano-Mylv
Tourist
3 0 3

Hi @Ceri-Waters,

Thanks so much for pointing me to that – I had read that article, but obviously it hadn't clicked with me...

So that deadline refers to:

"all themes in the Shopify Theme Store and apps in the Shopify App Store"

So my reading of that means not every store on Shopify...
If you're using a custom theme on a store, it doesn't have to be migrated by the end of the year.

Would still be good to know if there are plans to deprecate 1.0 themes in the future, and if there is a deadline for it...

Ceri-Waters
Shopify Partner
90 4 22

Hi @Mano-Mylv clearly I need to read it again too! I hadn't noticed that it was only for Themes in the Shopify Store...

SagarikaDas
Shopify Partner
115 10 31

Hey @Ceri-Waters 

The upcoming Shopify theme “Dawn” (the uses Online Store 2.0 features) will be the default theme in the development themes created after June 29, 2021. Get more information here.

Thanks!

Sagarika Das | iCart Team
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
0 Likes
Ceri-Waters
Shopify Partner
90 4 22

@SagarikaDasthat is for development preview stores only, it's not something you can use yet on a public store.

0 Likes
Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
256 58 53

Hi @Mano-Mylv 

That's a great question and I can understand your concern about older themes depreciating. At this time we have not been told or had anything announced that would say we would be depreciating older themes. 

Working in support, I have the chance to see a lot of theme versions and you would probably be more than a little surprised at how many merchants are still using version 1.0 themes, unsectioned themes, etc. If it works for them, it works for us! While we encourage our merchants to upgrade for better stability and more functionality, the theme file they are using on their store is entirely up to them and in their control. 

While things like this can change in the near future, at this time it is highly unlikely for us to forcefully depreciate older version theme files for our merchants and devs. 

-Shay

Shay | Support Advisor @ Shopify 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog