Option for note section in checkout

5 0 0

I am trying to add an option for customers to leave a note during checkout but can't figure out how. The theme on the site is Responsive. Any suggestions? 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
509 14 122

Hey Jordie,

I'm Aria, a Social Care guru at Shopify. ??

You can find instructions for enabling order notes in your cart in this guide.

Let me know if there is anything else you need. ?

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
900 49 160

Hey Jordie, 

Peter here from Shopify Support!

I wanted to quickly touch on Aria's reply above there! Typically the order notes section would be found in your theme settings, however, it would appear that "Responsive" doesn't include the order notes feature in the area described in the guide.

For starters, you'll want to get your theme customizer open, so you'll want to head to Online Store/Themes:

From there, you'll want to click on the "Home Page" drop-down menu and select "Cart:"

You'll notice the left-hand bar now changes to include a "Cart" section:

Once you open up this area, you'll be able to enable the "Order Notes" feature which will look similar to this:

Once you click save, that should get you the desired result! :) If by chance you're wanting to change the language that's used on the cart page (ie Notes to Knowledgetester) this can be done by clicking "Actions" then "Edit Language:"

Once you get the languages area opened up, you'll want to search "Note to" which will pull up the respected area: 

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
5 0 0

Worked great, thank you! 

0 Likes
Excursionist
23 0 1

Hi, good input but the Question was saying about Checkout page not Cart page.

Is there a way to Enable Order Notes on checkout also?

Thanks in advance,

John

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
900 49 160

@limitcracker 

Adding order notes to the checkout process wouldn't be possible at this time as we restrict access to editing the checkout process to ensure it remains secure. You can, however; add order notes to the cart page/cart drawer. 

May I ask why you need it on the checkout page vs the cart page?

0 Likes
Excursionist
23 0 1
@Peter

Hi.
Because after adding a product in cart one has the option to go straight to checkout page without going to cart page first. This will never see the order notes text area to fill in.

Even a small notice or ideally a textarea would be sufficient to me. I just want to ask the customer about the type of invoice he may want.

Any ideas if by prepaying the full year up front unlocks the feature as it does with 3rd Party Carrier Calculated Rates feature?

Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
900 49 160

@limitcracker 

From the context you've provided, it sounds like you're referring to the "Buy Now" buttons as that feature allows users to go from the product page to the checkout page without needing to see the cart page. If you opted out of using this and used the traditional "add to cart" buttons, then this should resolve the issue and allow your customers to be directed to the cart page. Granted, this is theme-specific, so your results may vary depending on the theme you're using. 

This wouldn't be a feature that you'd be able to add to the platform by paying more as it's merely a limitation of the platform as this isn't something we've provided in the checkout process. I've sent this up as a feature request on your behalf, however; with any request we receive, we can't guarantee that we will be able to accommodate the request, nor provide a timeline for when it would be released. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Please Shopify - having a notes text field in the checkout page just makes for a better user experience. Often themes will have cart drop downs which makes complete sense for UX. This means they will bi-pass the cart window completely.

Having the notes field somewhere near the Shipping Information form on the checkout pages will allow customers to add important notes or requests. It also helps now that Facebook shopping directs users back to Shopify Checkout.

Just make it a standard feature for the platform.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
900 49 160

@Grant_Harrison 

Thank you for expressing interest in getting order notes added to the checkout process, as well as providing excellent feedback on why the current setup (order notes via the cart page) doesn't always work. I've added your feedback and your vote to the existing feature request. We will update our Changelog in the future if we can get this added in a future release. 

1 Like