PNGs converting to jpeg on upload

1 0 0

I'm using the Debut theme and for some reason when uploading a transparent PNG as a Collection image, it gets converted automatically to a jpeg on the Shopify side, removing all of the transparency.

Because of our design, we can't have this happen (there is a textured background behind the product images)... See screenshot:  http://b3.ms/z2VnmgpJL9g3 

This is only happening on Collection images. PNGs uploaded as Product images maintain their transparency just fine.

How to circumvent this from happening? I've searched through the forums, but I haven't been able to find anything to fix this particular issue. Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 18 53

Hi, Dawson.

This is Max from the Shopify Team. 

Could you let us know a bit more information about your shop? It looks like that example image is not leading to a 404 page. 

Let us know a bit more info so we can do our best to point you in the right direction.

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hey Max,

I actually have the same problem of .png images being converted/not being transparent after upload.

The place I need this function to work in are collection images.

I'm using the Debut Theme.

I found this thread from 2016 that fixes the same problem, but I can't seem to find the files they are talking about:

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Problems-with-png-files/m-p/204360?advanced=false&col...

Shopify probably changed their file-structure or something?

I'm curious to hear your response:)

Kind regards,

Andreas

0 Likes
3 0 0

Ok I was able to fix it by removing the old image, saving the page and then adding the .png image.

Big thank you to Customer Support for providing me with this solution here!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 18 53

So glad you were able to find a fix, @Alza!

Please let us know if you need any more help later on and all the best with your shop!

Max

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hello I am having the same problem with the Debut theme. 

I am uploading a png photo to the password page and it does upload as a png but it does not have the transparent background. I'm a bit confused as to how to fix this. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

0 Likes